Basingwerk Abbey

Basingwerk Abbey is the ruin of an abbey near Holywell, Flintshire, Wales, in the care of Cadw (Welsh Heritage).

It was founded in 1132 by the Earls of Chester, and monks from Savigny settled there. In 1147 the abbey became part of the Cistercian Order and therefore a daughter house of Buildwas Abbey in Shropshire. In 1157 the abbey was given the manor of Glossop by King Henry II. The hilltop Monks’ Roa

d in Glossop is a reminder of the monks’ efforts to administer their possession. Earlier on they had received the manor of West Kirby from the Earls of Chester. In the 13th century, the abbey was under the patronage of Llywelyn the Great, and his son Dafydd ap Llywelyn gave St. Winifred’s Well to the abbey. The monks harnessed the power of the Holywell stream to run a corn mill and to treat the wool from their sheep. In 1536 abbey life came to an end with the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

But that isn’t the end of the story. For two centuries earlier a Welsh seer, Robin Ddu (Robin black) said the roof on the refectory would do very nicely on a little church under Moel Famau. It did. When the abbey was sold the roof went to Cilcain church and the amazing Jesse window went to the church at Llanrhaeadr-yng-nghinmerch.

Today, the abbey ruin is part of Greenfield Valley Heritage Park.

Wensite Website: http://www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/default.asp?id=6&PlaceID=26
Admission Charges Admission Charge:- Adult – £0, Concession – £0, Family – £0
Opening Hours Hours: Spring Opening Times:
open siteSummer Opening Times:open site

Autumn Opening Times:
open site

Winter Opening Times:
open siteOpen sites are unstaffed and open to the public with no admission charge at all reasonable times, usually between 10.00 and 16.00 daily.
Facilities for the Disabled Disabled Facilities: Disabled visitors and their assisting companion will be admitted free of charge to all monuments where an admission charge is levied. Please note that, for health reasons, dogs are not allowed on Cadw sites, but guide dogs and hearing dogs for the deaf are welcome.A guide is available for disabled visitors to some of Cadw’s most popular sites. Versions of the guide for specific sites are available in Braille by telephoning Cadw HQ (01443 336 000). The guide is best used in conjunction with Cadw site leaflets or the Cadw Map of Wales. Guidebooks are also available for many of the sites.