Martyn Jones is a contemporary painter who works from his studio based in Cardiff, Wales, UK. Jones graduated M.A. Fine Art, at Chelsea School of Art, London and was awarded Junior Fellowship at Bath Academy of Art. Among his tutors were the British artists Adrian Heath and Patrick Heron. His work is represented by the Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff and the Robert Steele Gallery, New York.
During 2008, Jones staged his first major international solo exhibition ‘Overland’ at the Robert Steele Gallery, Chelsea, New York, comprising over forty works. The Robert Steele Gallery has represented Jones’ work, since 2004, in a variety of international and themed group exhibitions. His work has been exhibited widely in U.K., Europe and U.S.A. including the National Museums and Galleries of Wales and Wales International Centre, Chrysler Building, New York. His paintings continue to be sought after by numerous public and private collectors.
His work is represented in numerous public and private collections in the UK, Europe, and USA He is represented by the Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff and by the Robert Steele Gallery, New York.
Jones describes his work as;
‘My work is descriptive in essence – natural shape and form taken from the world at large. My paintings have been described as capturing a natural ambiguity, but that ambiguity should not be construed as being manufactured in any way. Within each image an open invitation is challengingly presented to the percipient. It is difficult to determine when a painting is finished, but usually I instinctively know when that moment has arrived. I can say more often than not, my paintings finish themselves.’
“Jones works in a thoroughly abstract manner. His work develops intuitively around the colour and forms in his painting” – Michael Tooby (Director, National Museum & Gallery, Cardiff)
Selected solo exhibitions
- 2008 Overland, Robert Steele Gallery, New York.
- 2008 Aeon, Cynon Valley Museum, Wales
- 2008 Rhondda Heritage Museum, Wales
- 2007 Overland, Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff, Wales
- 2006 The Project Room, Robert Steele Gallery, New York
- 2005 Esto Perpetua, Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff
- 2005 Oriel Mon, Angelsey, North Wales
- 2005 Cynon Valley Museum, Wales
- 2004-07 Twelve New Works, Wales International Center, Chrysler Building, New York
- 2003 Via, Oriel Capsule Gallery, Cardiff
- 2002 Genuis Loci, Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre, Gwent, Wales
Selected group exhibitions
- 2009 Group Show, Robert Steele Gallery, New York
- 2009 International Artexpo,Jacob Javits Centre, New York
- 2008 Ffres Ysbryd/Spirit Wales Newport Museum and Art Gallery, Gwent. 2008 International Artists Summer Show, Robert Steele Gallery, New York
- 2008 56 Group Wales, Tenby Museum, Oriel Myrddin, Wales
- 2007 Chelsea Summer Dreaming, Robert Steele Gallery, New York
- 2007 Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff
- 2007 West Wales Arts Centre, Fishguard, Wales
- 2007 Attic Gallery, Swansea, Wales