It is on the eastward side of the island to the north of the village of Moelfre. It was the site, in October 1859, of the loss of the steam clipper Royal Charter with a loss of life in excess of 450.
It was also the scene of an earlier wreck (though not to be confused with that of the neighbouring Dulas Bay) which occurred in 1745 of two young boys (most likely to be of Spanish origin) who later became known as the “bonesetters” due to their apparent orthopaedic abilities.
The bay is very popular with windsurfers and other windpowered watersport enthusiasts. There is a pay and display car park at the end of a road leading right down to the beach.