Aberaeron

Aberaeron is a seaside town in Ceredigion, Wales between Aberystwyth and Cardigan and is home to the headquarters of Ceredigion County Council.

Aberaeron was planned and built in 1805 by the Rev. Alban Thomas Jones. It is built around the estuary of the River Aeron, which has been enlarged to provide a small half-tide harbour for recreational craft. The estuary is also crossed by a wooden pedestrian bridge.

The architecture of Aberaeron is unusual in this part of rural Wales, being constructed around a principal square of elegant Regency style buildings grouped around the harbour.

Some of the architecture was of sufficient interest to feature on British postage stamps

Aberaeron is located on the A487 road and the A482 road strikes inland from the town to Lampeter and beyond.

The shore-line at Aberaeron consists of generally steep storm beaches made of cobbles, although fine sand is visible at low tide levels. Following improvement to sewage disposal and treatment, Aberaeron south beach was awarded the Blue fact rural beach award in 2005.

The climate is mild and temperate, largely conditioned by the proximity of the relatively shallow sea. However, Aberaeron can suffer from occasional winter frosts when cold air descends the Aeron valley from the upland parts of Ceredigion.

The town is notable for the sale of honey and especially honey ice-cream.

With 70% of Aberaeron’s inhabitants able to speak Welsh according to the 2001 census, Aberaeron is one of the few coastal areas left in Ceredigion, which remains predominantly Welsh-speaking.

Sir Geraint Evans, the renowned opera singer had a home in Aberaeron for more than 30 years.

For more information see: http://www.aberaeron.org.uk/

Markets in Aberaeron:
Aberaeron Certified Market
Alban Square Field
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0AD
10am-3pm Occurence 1st Wednesday each month June – October
01970 633 066

 

Libraries in Aberaeron:
Aberaeron Library
County Hall
Stryd y Farchnad,
Aberaeron
SA46 0AT
01545 572500
Mon 10.00am-1.00pm 2.00pm-3.30pm 4.00pm-8.00pm
Tues 10.00am-12.00pm 1.00pm-4.00pm
Wed 9.00am-1.00pm 2.00pm-4.00pm
Thurs 10.00am-1.00pm 2.00pm-4.30pm
Fri 10.00am-1.00pm 2.00pm-4.30pm
Sat 10.00am-12.00pm

 

Museums in Aberaeron:
Aberaeron Sea Aquarium
2 Quay Parade
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0BT
01545 570142

 

Rugby in Aberaeron:
Aberaeron RFC
Vicarage Hill
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0DY
01545 571218

 

Vets in Aberaeron:
Priory Veterinary Group
5 Dark Gate St
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0JH
01545 571341

 

Sailing in Aberaeron:
Aberaeron Yacht Club
South beach
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0DP
01545 57007

 

Pubs/Bars in Aberaeron:
Black Lion Hotel
Alban Square
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0AD
01545 571382

The Cadwgan Inn
10 Market Street
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0AU
01545 570149

Castle Hotel
Bridge Street
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0AR

Feathers Royal Hotel
Alban Square
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0AQ

Harbour Master Hotel
Quay Parade
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0BT

Monachty Arms Hotel
Market Street
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0AS
01545 570389

Prince Of Wales
Queen Street
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0BY
01545 570366

Royal Oak
North Road
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0JG
01545 570233

Victoria Hotel
Victoria Street
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0DA
01545 570347

 

B&B's/Guesthouses in Aberaeron:
Coedmor
2 Cadwgan Place
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0BU
01545 571615
lynne@coedmorbandb.co.uk
http://www.coedmorbandb.co.uk

Arosfa Harbourside Guesthouse
Harbourside
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0BU
01545 570120
arosfabandb@aol.com
http://www.arosfaguesthouse.co.uk

Gwennaul
Drefach
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0JR
01545 571756
davekerry_457@hotmail.com

Lima House
1 victoria street
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0DA
01545 570720
info@limahouse.co.uk
http://www.limahouse.co.uk

 

Hotels in Aberaeron:
Castle Hotel
Market Street
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0AU
01545 570205

Feathers Royal
Alban Square
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0AQ
01545 571750

Harbour Master Hotel
Harbour Lane
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0BA
01545 570755

Monachty Arms Hotel
7 Market Street
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0AS
01545 570389

Victoria Hotel
Victoria Street
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0DA
01545 571838

 

Food - Restaurants in Aberaeron: Cherubs Cafe & Restaurant (British)
7 Clos Pencarreg
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0DX
01545 571721

The New Celtic Restaurant
8 Market Street
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0AS,
01545 570369

Ty-Thai
2 Regent Street
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0HY
01545 570578

Friends Salad Bar
The Old Post Office
5b Alban Square
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0AD
01545 571122

Saagar Tandoori
1 Regent Street
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0HY
01545 571735

 

Campsites/Carvans in Aberaeron:
Avon Estates Ltd
Gilfach Holiday Village
Llwyncelyn
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0HN
01545 580288

Wide Horizons Holiday Parks
Cardigan Road
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0ET
01545 570043

 

Places of Worship in Aberaeron:
Holy Trinity Church/
Bridge Street
(Office: Panteg Road)
Aberaeron
SA46 0EP
01545 570 433
www.aberaeronparish.org.uk

 

Schools/Colleges in Aberaeron:
Ysgol Gyfun Aberaeron (Secondary)
Stryd Y Fro
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0DT
01545 570217Ysgol

Gynradd Aberaeron (Primary)
Gerddi Wellington
Aberaeron
Ceredigion
SA46 0BQ
01545 570313

 

Chemists/Pharmacies in Aberaeron:
Boots The Chemist
5a Bridge Street
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0AP
01545 571231

Lloyds Pharmacy
2 Alban Square
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0AD
01545 570324

 

Doctors/GPs in Aberaeron:
Oxford Street Surgery
Oxford Street
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0JB
01545 570273

Tanyfron Surgery
7-9 Market Street
Aberaeron
Dyfed
SA46 0AS
01545 570271

 

Aberaeron, or Aberayron - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
ABERAERON, or ABERAYRON (ABERAERON), a sea-port, and rising watering-place, partly in the parish of Hênvynyw, but principally in that of Llandewy-Aberarth, lower division of the hundred of Ilar, county of Cardigan, South Wales, 16 miles (S. W. by S.) from Aberystwith, and 23 (E. N. E.) from Cardigan; containing 534 inhabitants. The village is agreeably situated on the road from Cardigan to Aberystwith, at the lower extremity of the Vale of Aëron, the sides of which are in this part abrupt, and clothed with wood; and on the shore of Cardigan bay, at the influx of the river Aëron.

This river here separates the parishes of Hênvynyw and Llandewy-Aberarth, and, with some springs in the neighbourhood, affords the inhabitants an ample supply of water; it is noted for trout and salmon, and there are several corn-mills on its banks. Aberaëron is indebted for its origin to the late Rev. Alban Thomas Jones Gwynne, of Ty-Glyn, who, in 1807, obtained an act of parliament, under the authority of which he built two piers at the mouth of the river Aëron, with convenient wharfs, cranes, and storehouses, at an expense of about £6000.

The pier on the west was one hundred yards in length, and the other ninety, and both were built of stone; but, from the very exposed situation of the place, they were insufficient to afford adequate protection to vessels from the violence of north-westerly winds.To remove this inconvenience, it was necessary for the present proprietor, Colonel Gwynne, to extend the western pier about one hundred yards, inclining in a northern direction; which has been effected.

The scenery of the Vale of Aëron is particularly beautiful, and, together with the marine atmosphere of the village, its retired situation, and improving condition, may render this, at no distant period, a place of very considerable resort during summer. Upwards of thirty new leases were granted some years ago, pursuant to which a number of houses have been built: a post-office, and an excellent posting-house and hotel, have also been established, the latter affording to families an equal degree of comfort and privacy to any inns in the principality.

In 1835 an act was obtained for making and maintaining a road from New-Quay to this place.The port is a member of that of Aberystwith, and is in a thriving state. There are from thirty to forty sloops belonging to it, of from seventeen to one hundred tons’ burthen, which are navigated by about 120 seamen: they are chiefly employed in the importation of coal and culm, and two of them trade regularly with Bristol. The principal articles of importation, in addition, are grocery and timber; and of exportation, butter and oats: there is also a lucrative herring fishery, in which about thirty boats, with seven men to each, are engaged. Near the entrance into the harbour is a bar, which is dry at low water.

The merchants’ stores are open weekly, on Wednesday, for the reception of corn; and markets for provisions, &c., are now held every Wednesday and Saturday, under the auspices of Colonel Gwynne, proprietor of the manor: a fair for hiring servants takes place on Nov. 13th. All the quarter-sessions of the county are held here, and there are petty-sessions once a month, for the whole of the Aberaëron poor-law union: one of the county debt-courts established in 1847 is also fixed here, with jurisdiction over the union; and courts leet for the manor are held in May and October.

There are places of worship for dissenters, and several schools. The poor-law union of which this place is the head, comprehends the fourteen parishes and townships of Ciliau-Aëron, Cydplwyv, Dihewyd, Hênvynyw, Kilkennin, Llanarth, Llanbadarn-Trêveglwys, Llandewy-Aberarth, Llandysilio-Gogo, Llanerchaeron, Llanina, Llanllwchairn, Llansantfraid with Llanon, and Llanvihangel-Ystrad. It is under the superintendence of sixteen guardians, and contains a population of upwards of 12,874.

Mynach-dy, the property and residence of Col. Gwynne, situated at a short distance from the village, is supposed, from its name, which signifies “monastery,” to have been anciently a small ecclesiastical establishment: in the grounds are some tumuli, called Hên Gastell, of obscure origin. On the sea-shore, near the village, is a circular encampment, designated Castell Cadwgan, and supposed to have been constructed by Cadwgan ab Bleddyn, about 1148.

 

Holy Trinity Church, Aberaeron. Photograph © John Ball, Brecon.