David Wynne (June 2, 1900 - 1983) was a prolific Welsh composer.
He was born at Penderyn, a village near Hirwaun, and worked as a coal-miner immediately after leaving school at 14. Having won a scholarship at the age of 25, he studied music at University of Wales, Cardiff, and the University of Bristol. In 1929 he became Head of Music at Lewis School Pengam, a grammar school for boys, a position he held until his retirement in 1961. From this date he taught composition at Cardiff College of Music and Drama, now the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, and many of his compositions date from this perod.
The Cardiff University School of Music, in association with the Welsh Music Guild, awards a prize in his honour to advance the careers of student composers.
His music is published by Oriana Publications Limited, 71 Broad Street, Barry, Vale of Glamorgan CF62 7AG.
- Songs of Solitude (1941)
- String Quartet no. 1 (1944)
- String Trio (1946)
- Sonata no. 1 (1948)
- Symphony no. 1 (1952) (Unperformed)
- Sonatina for trumpet (1956)
- Symphony no. 2 (1956) (Commissioned by the Guild for the Promotion of Welsh Music)
- Piano sonata no.2 (1957)
- Fantasia for Orchestra (1957) (Commissioned by the National Youth Orchestra of Wales)
- Rhapsody no. 1 for violin (1958)
- Clarinet Quintet (1959)
- Welsh Suite (1961)
- Fantasia Concerto for two pianos (three hands) (1962) (Unperformed)
- Symphony no. 3 (1963)
- Fantasia Concertante for viola and orchestra (1964)
- Cymric Rhapsody no. 1 (1965)
- String Quartet no. 3 (1966)
- Music for Harp (1966)
- Cymric Rhapsody no. 2 (1969)
- Evening Shadows (1971)
- Fantasia for piano and orchestra (1972)
- Jack and Jill (1975, opera)
- Night and Cold Peace (1979, opera)
- Owain Ab Urien (cantata)