Amroath (Ambroth, or Amroth) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
AMROATH (AMBROTH, or AMROTH), a parish, in the union and hundred of Narberth, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 7 miles (S. E.) from Narberth; containing 779 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the western shore of Carmarthen bay. It abounds with coal of a peculiarly fine quality, which, burning without smoke or any offensive smell, is much in request for drying malt and hops; for this purpose, considerable quantities are shipped from a place called Wiseman's Bridge, in vessels of fifty or sixty tons' burthen, for Bristol, and other places on the banks of the Severn. This part of the bay is celebrated for salmon, cod, and flat-fish, which are taken in abundance, for the supply of the market at Tenby, five miles distant. Iron-ore was obtained in the parish, during the existence of the Penbrey Iron Company; but the operations have been suspended since the stoppage of their works. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at �3. 18. 6�., and endowed with �600 royal bounty and �600 parliamentary grant; net income, �112; patron and impropriator, Charles Poyer Callen, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Elidyr, is an ancient structure in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty square embattled tower, and is well fitted up. A school, for the gratuitous instruction of an unlimited number of children of both sexes, was endowed in 1789 by D. Rees, Esq., of the city of London, who gave �20 per annum to the parish, of which �5, according to the will of the testator, are distributed among the most deserving of the poor, and the remainder appropriated to the maintenance of the school, in which are at present about seventyfive children. The endowment amounts to �666. 13. 4. three per cent. consols, vested in respectable trustees; the present school-room was erected by the parish, in 1832. A Sunday school, which is supported by subscription, is attended by about fifty children, nearly all of whom participate in the benefits of the day school.
In the vicinity of Amroath are several elegant seats, of which two are within the parish. Of these, Amroath Castle, originally either the residence of Cadwgan ab Bleddyn, Prince of Powys, or the site of his palace, and subsequently the seat of the family of Elliot, at which period it was called Eare Weare, has been modernised into a marine castellated mansion. It was at this place, according to some writers, that Cadwgan ab Bleddyn gave a sumptuous banquet to the neighbouring chiefs, among whom was Gerald de Windsor, lord of Carew, with his wife N�st, whom the son of Cadwgan afterwards carried off by force from Carew Castle, as is noticed in the account of that place. Colby Lodge is situated in a highly romantic dell, opening at one extremity towards the sea; it commands a fine sea view, and is enriched in other parts with scenery pleasingly varied, forming a beautiful and sequestered retreat.