Caerra (Caerau) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
CAERRA (CAERAU), a parish, in the union of Cardiff, hundred of Kibbor, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 3½ miles (W.) from Cardiff; containing 80 inhabitants. Part of this parish was given by Fitz-Hamon to Sir John Fleming, one of the Norman knights who attended him in the conquest of Wales. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £1000 royal bounty; net income, £60; patron, the Prebendary of Caerau. The tithes have been commuted for £154, of which £4 are payable to the Bishop of Llandaf, and £150 to the impropriator, who has also a glebe of 20 acres, valued at £23 per annum. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is chiefly remarkable for its situation within the precincts of a Roman camp, which is one of the most extensive and entire in the principality. This camp, in form, is a regular parallelogram, rounded at the angles, and inclosing an area of about twelve acres: it is defended on the north side, where the ascent is steep, by one single rampart, on the south and southwest by two, and one on the east side, where was the prætorium, by three ramparts. The prætorium, which is still visible, is of a circular form, guarded by a steep rampart, and communicating with the camp by a very narrow passage. From its situation within a small distance of the river Ely, its magnitude, the disposition of its arrangements, and its excellent preservation, the camp has been identified with the Tibia Amnis of Richard of Cirencester: no coins, however, or any other Roman relics, have been discovered near the spot, to confirm the supposition. In 1759 Mrs. Stephens bequeathed £30, the interest to be distributed among the poor, which was carried into effect down to 1771, when the principal was expended on the repairs of the church; the interest in a few years ceased to be paid out of the poor rates, and the poor now receive no benefit from the charity.