Investors in Cats

Welsh Icons - Towns & Villages
Caersws

Welsh Icons
About Wales

and all things Welsh

Caersws

 Back

 Previous

Next

Photos Wanted

Do you have any photographs of this location we can use on the site?
Please email them along with a description to [email protected]
They will remain your copyright and you will be credited as the photographer.

Caersws is a village sitting on the River Severn in mid Wales, at grid reference SO0392. It has a railway station on the The Cambrian Line from Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury.

The name Caersws means 'fort of Sws', from the Welsh 'Caer' meaning fort. It is also the believed site of Roman Fort Mediomanum, "The Central Fist". This may be the fort referred to in the name of the village.

Caersws also has a reasonably successful League of Wales football side, Caersws FC.


 Trains in Caersws: Caersws is on The Cambrian Line


 Football in Caersws: Caersws FC


 Golf in Caersws:
 Mid Wales Golf Centre
       Maesmawr
       Caersws
       Powys
       SY17 5SB
 01686 688303


 Pubs/Bars in Caersws:
 The Buck Hotel
       Main St
       Caersws
       Powys
       SY17 5EL
 01686 688267

 The Red Lion
       3 Main St
       Caersws
       Powys
       SY17 5EL
 01686 688023

 Maesmawr Hall Hotel
       Caersws
       Powys
       SY17 5SF
 01686 688255

 The Unicorn Hotel
       Bridge Street
       Caersws
       Powys
       SY17 5DT
 01686 688237


 Hotels in Caersws:
 The Buck Hotel
       Main St
       Caersws
       Powys
       SY17 5EL
 01686 688267

 Maesmawr Hall Hotel
       Caersws
       Powys
       SY17 5SF
 01686 688255

 The Unicorn Hotel
       Bridge Street
       Caersws
       Powys
       SY17 5DT
 01686 688237


 Campsites/Caravans in Caersws:
 Bwlch Y Ffridd
       Nr Caersws
       Newtown
       Powys
       SY16 3JF
 01686 688580
 http://www.leylandsholidayhomeparks.co.uk/sunnyview /index.htm


Caer-Sws - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
CAER-SWS, a hamlet, in the parish of Llanwnnog, union of Newtown and Llanidloes, hundred of Llanidloes, county of Montgomery, North Wales, 5 miles (W.) from Newtown; containing 342 inhabitants. This is said to have been a Roman city of considerable extent, though unnoticed as such by early writers; its Roman name is not even known, and few vestiges of its grandeur have been traced. Sufficient remains, however, exist to shew, apart from tradition, that it must have been a place of some importance at a remote period. Upon a rising ground nearly in the centre of an opening of the valley, are vestiges of a Roman camp: the elevation is about 100 yards from the village, and peculiarly well chosen, commanding the surrounding tract and the passes, while on the adjacent high grounds were several military posts. The camp is of rectangular form, nearly square, and rounded at the corners, comprising an area of about four acres, now divided into four cultivated fields, and intersected almost at right angles by lanes, seemingly indicating the situations of the ancient streets. It is probable that, if excavations were undertaken on a considerable scale, Roman buildings would be discovered. Various relics have been turned up at different times, principally about the year 1777 and in 1832: they consist of several Roman bricks with impressions on them, one of which is said to have been purchased by Captain Wemyss, of Aberystwith; a gold chain, found in a field near the Park, and sold to a stranger in the neighbourhood for a few shillings; a small number of coins, some Roman masonry, a quern, fragments of stained glass, &c.

The station was connected with other stations by five ancient roads, of which that principally mentioned is the Via Devana, or Sarn Swsan or Swsog, pointing hence in a north-eastern direction towards the station Mediolanum. Another road leads towards Pont-y-Ddolgoch, crossing the Newtown turnpike-road on Henblas farm, and taking the direction of Plasau-duon and Bwlch-y-Garreg to the hill called Mynydd Llynmawr: this road may have passed by Bala, to the station Mons Heriri, both in Merionethshire. The other roads were, one leading to Maglona near Machynlleth, passing by Trveglwys; a road to the station at Cwm on the river Ython, near Builth; and a road proceeding eastward along the course of the Severn, towards the station of Caer Fls near Montgomery. Some of the existing traces of these ways are noticed in a paper on Roman remains in Montgomeryshire, in the Archologia Cambrensis for April 1848, from which the above particulars of the station and its roads are abridged.

Caer-Sws had formerly a castle also, and at least one church, and is said to have been the residence of the lords of Arwystli. It is situated on the northern bank of the river Severn, across which a new stone bridge of three arches was built some years ago; and the village has been enlarged, within the last seventy years, by the erection of some decent houses and cottages. A new road, leading from the Newtown and Llanidloes road through Caer-Sws to join that of Newtown and Machynlleth at the Mytton Arms inn, about a mile from the village of Llanwnnog, was lately constructed: along this road is much travelling to those fashionable and well-frequented wateringplaces, Aberystwith, Aberdovey, and Towyn. There are places of worship for Baptists, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. About a quarter of a mile northward of Caer-Sws, adjoining the old Via Devana, a workhouse for the Newtown and Llanidloes union was built in 1840, which cost the union, comprising seventeen parishes, about 11,000; it contains above 200 inmates, most of whom are children, who are well maintained, clothed, and educated: the officiating minister of the parish is the chaplain to the workhouse.



 

Comment Script
Post this page to: del.icio.us Yahoo! MyWeb Digg reddit Furl Blinklist Spurl

Comments

Name
E-mail (Will not appear online)
Title
Comment
;-) :-) :-D :-( :-o >-( B-) :oops: :-[] :-P
[Home] [Food & Drink] [Symbols] [Sport] [Products] [Places] [Buildings] [Artists] [Entertainers] [Events] [Famous Welsh] [Journalists] [Musicians] [Politicians] [Songs] [Writers] [Welsh Info] [About Us] [Vox Pop] [Contact Us] [Forums] [Our Sponsors] [Welsh Produce] [Arts & Crafts]

All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2008
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know.
Email: [email protected]

 

This Space
could be YOURS
From Just 30
a Year

Click Here to
Find Out More

Help us to keep
this Site up and running

 

Key

Bold Red
Internal Link
Red
External Link

 Admission Charges
 Address
 Arts/Galleries
 Buses
 B&Bs/Guest Houses Campsites/Caravans
 Castles
 Credit Cards
 Cricket
 Disabled Facilities
 Email
 Farmers Markets
 Fax
 Film
 Food
 Football
 Parks/Gardens
 Golf
 Historic Houses
 Hotels
 Libraries
 Museums
 Opening Hours
 Pubs/Bars
 Rugby
 Shops/Gifts
 Taxis:
 Telephone No.
 Theatres
 Tourist Information
 Trains
 Vets
 Web Address
 Welsh Produce
 Youth Hostels
llustration(s) or photograph(s) viewable Illustration(s) or
       photograph(s)

This Month

September 2nd

Victor Spinetti (actor) born 1932 in Abergavenny

September 7th

Max Boyce (entertainer) born 1945

September 12th

Desmond Llewelyn (actor) born 1914 in
Newport

September 13th

Roald Dahl (writer) born 1916, Cardiff