Investors in Cats

Welsh Icons - Towns & Villages
Capel Curig

Welsh Icons
About Wales

and all things Welsh

Capel Curig

 Back

 Previous

Next

Looking towards Capel Curig from Llynnau Mymbyr. Photograph © Eifion

Capel Curig (Welsh: Curig's chapel) is a village in Conwy county borough, in North Wales. It lies in the heart of Snowdonia, on the River Llugwy. It is at the junction of the A5 road from Bangor and Bethesda to Betws-y-Coed with the A4086 from Caernarfon, Llanberis, Pen-y-Pass and Pen-y-Gwryd.

Capel Curig is recorded as being as the wettest place in Wales, although the weather station is in Dyffryn Mymbyr, a couple of miles out of the village, in the direction of Snowdon.

The village is a popular centre for walking, climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking and other outdoor pursuits and is served by the Sherpa bus network. It is also home to a youth hostel, camp site, several cafes and hotels and outdoor activity gear shops.

Also located in Capel Curig is the UK National Mountain Centre at Plas y Brenin, which offers the highest quality mountaineering, climbing, canoeing facilities and training .

Capel Curig takes its name from the little church in the ancient graveyard by the river bridge on the Llanberis road. This confusingly has been known for over 100 years as St. Julitta's Church and is currently being restored by the "Friends of Saint Julitta". Tradition claims this chapel to be the 6th century foundation of St. Curig, a Celtic bishop. Centuries later, probably when the present ancient church was built, the name appears to have been latinised as Cyricus, which is the name of a 4th century child martyr whose mother was Julitta. They are usually named together as SS Cyricus and Julitta.

Evan Roberts
Capel Curig was home to one of the finest examples of a self taught botanist, certainly in the UK, if not wider - Evan Roberts. He lived at Gelli in Capel Curig where he lived and would explore all of Snowdonia, and in doing so compiled an unparalleled knowledge of the plant life in North Wales. Although he spent the first 40 years of his life as a quarry worker, he went on to become the colleague of academics. He was awarded the honorary degree of M.Sc. of the University of Wales, in 1956, at the same ceremony as the architect Frank Lloyd Wright, and his portrait was painted by Kyffin Williams.

Roman Fort
Approximately one kilometre beyond Pont Cyfyng, towards the South East end of Capel Curig, on the farm of Bryn-y-Gefeiliau there are the remains of a roman fort (c90-100AD) and named Caer Llugwy by its excavators. In 1920 excavations undertaken by J.P. Hall and Captain G.H. Hodgson revealed a roughly square fort of approximately 4 acres. Some stone buildings were uncovered and traced.


 Youth Hostels in Capel Curig: Capel Curig


 Pubs/Bars in Capel Curig:
 The Bryn Tyrch Hotel
       Capel Curig
       Betws-Y-Coed
       Gwynedd
       LL24 0EL
 01690 720223


 Hotels in Capel Curig:
 Bryn Tyrch Hotel
       Capel Curig
       Conwy
       LL24 0EL
 01690 720223
 [email protected]

 Cobdens Hotel
       Capel Curig
       Conwy
       LL24 0EE
 01690 720243
 [email protected]
 http://www.cobdens.co.uk/


 B&B's/Guesthouses in Capel Curig:
 Tyn-y-Coed Inn
       Tyn-y-Coed
       Capel Curig
       Conwy
       LL24 0EE 
 01690 720331
 01690 720331
 [email protected]
 http://www.tyn-y-coed.co.uk


Capel Curig and back via Llyn Crafnant


Capel-Curig - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
CAPEL-CURIG, a chapelry, in the parish of Llandegai, hundred of Llęchwedd-Uchâv, county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 14 miles (S. E.) from Bangor, on the road from Shrewsbury to Holyhead: the population is returned with the parish. This place, from its vicinity to Snowdon and other mountains of note in this part of the principality, and to several of the finest lakes in North Wales, has been for a long time the resort of tourists; and since the diversion of the road through NantFrancon, and the erection of a spacious hotel here by the late Lord Penrhyn, has become a place of fashionable resort, being visited during the summer season by families of distinction and others, for whose accommodation the hotel, large as it is, has been found inadequate. A new line of road from Capel-Curig to Carnarvon has likewise been formed, through the pass of Llanberis, at the foot of Snowdon, affording a more direct communication with the interior of the counties of Carnarvon and Merioneth. Near the place is Rhaiadr-y-Wenol, on the river Llugwy, one of the most interesting and beautiful waterfalls in the principality. Capel-Curig is situated in a district abounding with mineral wealth; a great quantity of calamine has been obtained here, and in the vicinity is found the hard primitive rock called serpentine. A large sheep-fair is annually held on the 28th of September, which is numerously attended.

The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with Ł600 royal bounty; net income, Ł89; patron and impropriator, the Bishop of Bangor. The chapel, dedicated to St. Curig, appears to have been erected at a very early period, as a chapel of ease not only to the parochial church of Llandegai, from which it is thirteen miles distant, but also for the mountainous districts in the several parishes of Llanllęchid, Llanrhychwyn, Dôlwyddelan, Llanrwst, and Tręvriw, the inhabitants of which are at a great distance from their several churches, and are entitled to seats in this chapel. It was thoroughly repaired at the cost of the late G. H. D. Pennant, Esq., and is capable of accommodating about sixty persons. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, with a Sunday school held in it; and a school for boys and girls, supported principally by subscription, affords instruction in reading, writing, arithmetic, Scripture, and the Church Catechism. Near a place called Bryn Geveiliau, between Capel-Curig and Llanrwst, are some remains of a Roman edifice, a great part of which has been removed for building materials: one of the apartments was found, by Mr. Lysons, to be sixty feet by twenty in dimensions, and another, eighteen feet six inches square; and in the latter were several short square pillars of stone, similar to those of the hypocaust under the Feathers inn at Chester.



 

Comment Script
Post this page to: del.icio.us Yahoo! MyWeb Digg reddit Furl Blinklist Spurl

Comments

Name
E-mail (Will not appear online)
Title
Comment
;-) :-) :-D :-( :-o >-( B-) :oops: :-[] :-P
[Home] [Food & Drink] [Symbols] [Sport] [Products] [Places] [Buildings] [Artists] [Entertainers] [Events] [Famous Welsh] [Journalists] [Musicians] [Politicians] [Songs] [Writers] [Welsh Info] [About Us] [Vox Pop] [Contact Us] [Forums] [Our Sponsors] [Welsh Produce] [Arts & Crafts]

All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2008
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know.
Email: [email protected]

 

This Space
could be YOURS
From Just Ł30
a Year

Click Here to
Find Out More

Help us to keep
this Site up and running

 

Key

Bold Red
Internal Link
Red
External Link

 Admission Charges
 Address
 Arts/Galleries
 Buses
 B&B’s/Guest Houses Campsites/Caravans
 Castles
 Credit Cards
 Cricket
 Disabled Facilities
 Email
 Farmers Markets
 Fax
 Film
 Food
 Football
 Parks/Gardens
 Golf
 Historic Houses
 Hotels
 Libraries
 Museums
 Opening Hours
 Pubs/Bars
 Rugby
 Shops/Gifts
 Taxis:
 Telephone No.
 Theatres
 Tourist Information
 Trains
 Vets
 Web Address
 Welsh Produce
 Youth Hostels
llustration(s) or photograph(s) viewable Illustration(s) or
       photograph(s)

This Month

October 6th

Ioan Gruffudd (actor) born 1973 in Cardiff

October 8th

Ray Reardon (snooker player) born 1932 in Tredegar

October 11th

Dawn French. Born 1957 Holyhead

October 27th

Dylan Thomas
(writer/poet)
Born 1914