Cosheston - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
COSHESTON, a parish, in the hundred of Castlemartin, union and county of Pembroke, South Wales, 2 miles (N.) from Pembroke; containing 513 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the great road from London to the Pembroke dock-yard, is bounded on the north and west by a branch of Milford Haven, on the east by the parishes of Upton and Nash, and on the south by those of St. Mary's and St. Michael's, Pembroke. It comprises by admeasurement 2000 acres, of which 437 are arable, 1450 meadow and pasture, 47 woodland, and the residue waste land. The surface is varied with undulations, and the soil is in general of a light quality, resting on limestone, of which there are several quarries. The village is large, and stands on a beautiful site on the southern declivity of a hill, the base of which is washed by an estuary of Milford Haven, navigable for barges. The living is a discharged rectory, rated in the king's books at £11. 12. 11.; present net income, £160 a year, with a glebe-house; patron, George Bonling, Esq., of Woodfield. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a neat modern structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a low tower surmounted by a spire; it is seventy-three feet long, and thirty-two broad. There is a place of worship for dissenters, and a Sunday school is supported in connexion with the Established Church. John Jones, Esq., M.D., in 1698, bequeathed certain property in St. David's, producing in the whole £337. 13. per annum, for apprenticing poor children, and the relief of the aged and infirm poor of the four parishes of Lawrenny, Cosheston, St. David's, and Lampeter-Velvrey, with a discretionary power to his brother, the Rev. Mr. Jones, as executor, to add other parishes. Of the produce of this charity, Cosheston receives a sum of about £30 per annum, which is expended in premiums of £3 each in apprenticing children, and gifts to the poorer parishioners, varying from £3 to 5s.