Cwmdare (Cwm-D�r) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
CWMDARE (CWM-D�R), a hamlet, in the parish of Aberdare, union and parliamentary borough of Merthyr-Tydvil, hundred of Miskin, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Merthyr-Tydvil; containing, in 1841, 2404 inhabitants. The parochial church, and a great part of the village or town, of Aberdare are situated in this hamlet, which occupies the left bank of the river Cynon, near its source. Besides a dreary extent of bare mountain land, Cwmdare contains very little which is not connected with the town, or iron-works in the vicinity. Towards the north-west is a large tract of waste, at the extremity of which, on the north-western point of the parish, are the H�rwaun iron-works, and the houses connected with them: the works are situated in another parish, but nearly all the houses are within the limits of this. In the hamlet are four almshouses, open to the poor of the whole parish, endowed with a rent-charge of �5 by Mrs. Elinor Matthews, in 1724.