Investors in Cats

Welsh Icons - Towns & Villages
Dale, Pembrokeshire

Welsh Icons
About Wales

and all things Welsh

Dale, Pembrokeshire




Photos Wanted

Do you have any photographs of this location we can use on the site?
Please email them along with a description to [email protected].
They will remain your copyright and you will be credited as the photographer.

Dale is a small village in Pembrokeshire, Wales, located on the Dale Peninsula which forms the north side of the entrance to Milford Haven estuary. It was once a marcher borough. Owen, in 1603, described it as one of nine Pembrokeshire "boroughs in decay".

There is a Victorian fort located on a rocky promontory that houses a field studies centre. Many British, Dutch and Belgian students of marine biology, biology, geology, geomorphology, and other related fields have enjoyed exporing the natural resources of Pembrokeshire as well as each others company and the beer sold by the local pub. Windsurfing is taught in the Dale bay.

The Pembrokeshire Coast Path passes through the village.

On 15 February 1996, the oil tanker Sea Empress grounded at the Milford Haven entrance spilling 72,000 tonnes of crude oil.

 Pubs/Bars in Dale:
 The Griffin Inn
       SA62 3RB
 01646 636227

 Post House Hotel
       South Street
       SA62 3RE

 B&B's/Guesthouses in Dale:
 Point Farm
       SA62 3RD
 01646 636541

 Cafes in Dale:
 Dale Boathouse Cafe
       SA62 3RB
 01646 636929

 Places of Worship in Dale:
 St James Church In Wales
       172 Castle Way
       SA62 3RN
 01646 636255

Dale Peninsula, Pembrokeshire

Dale - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
DALE, a village and parish, in the union of Haverfordwest, hundred of Rh�s, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 13 miles (S. W. by W.) from Haverfordwest; containing 392 inhabitants. This village is supposed to have derived its name from a contraction of De Vale, the name of one of its ancient lords, in whose time it was dignified with the title of a borough, and appears to have enjoyed certain immunities. It still preserves the right of pasturing cattle on a plot of ground, called Dale Meadow, after the lord of the manor has cleared off the hay, which privilege was granted to the holders of burgage tenements by Henry VII., who, when Earl of Richmond, landed at this place, on his expedition to wrest the crown of England from Richard III. Here he was met by Rhŷs ab Thomas, who advanced from Carew Castle with a well-disciplined and well-appointed band of followers, to join the standard of the earl, with whom he was present at Bosworth Field, and to whose success he materially contributed, not only by his influence in adding to the number of Henry's partisans, but by his valour and discretion in the field.

Dale is situated on a little bay forming one side of the entrance into Milford Haven, and affording, in Dale Roads, good anchorage for small vessels, which may ride in safety in two or three fathoms at low water. Block-houses were built here in the reign of Elizabeth, and a chain is said to have been drawn across the mouth of the Haven, from St. Anne's here to Angle Point on the opposite side, to obstruct the passage of the Spanish Armada. St. Anne's lighthouses were originally erected in 1712, by William Allen, Esq., to whom a lease was granted by the crown for ninety-nine years, which term expired in 1813: they were rebuilt and again opened in 1800. The lantern of one of them contains eleven lights, and has an elevation of 160 feet; that of the other has sixteen lights, at an elevation of 195 feet. Copper-ore was formerly worked in the parish. A fishery is carried on, employing six boats, chiefly in taking lobsters, oysters, and herrings, during their respective seasons; and there is a small trade in the importation of coal and culm from the interior of the county. The parishioners at large have the right of pasturing cattle on Pickleridge common.

The scenery is of a bold and striking character; and from the higher grounds are obtained some extensive and pleasing views over St. George's Channel to the south and east, and of the adjacent country to the north. Dale Castle, formerly the mansion of the Allens, passed by marriage with the heiress to John Lloyd, Esq., of Mabus, in the county of Cardigan, and is now the property of his grandson, John P. Lloyd Allen Phillips, Esq. It is an embattled structure, and has been modernised and greatly improved by the addition of two spacious wings, communicating with the centre by two circular projecting towers; the edifice now forms one of the finest castellated mansions in the county, and, from its situation, is a prominent and interesting object in the scenery of the place. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with �800 royal bounty; net income, �65; patron and impropriator, Mr. Phillips. The church, dedicated to St. James, and rebuilt in 1761 at the sole expense of John Allen, Esq., is a neat edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, and containing an elegant font of marble, presented to the parish by the same gentleman. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, and a Sunday school is held in the church. Along the cliffs by which this part of the coast is bounded, are remains of several ancient encampments, apparently of Danish construction.


Comment Script
Post this page to: Yahoo! MyWeb Digg reddit Furl Blinklist Spurl


E-mail (Will not appear online)
;-) :-) :-D :-( :-o >-( B-) :oops: :-[] :-P
[Home] [Food & Drink] [Symbols] [Sport] [Products] [Places] [Buildings] [Artists] [Entertainers] [Events] [Famous Welsh] [Journalists] [Musicians] [Politicians] [Songs] [Writers] [Welsh Info] [About Us] [Vox Pop] [Contact Us] [Forums] [Our Sponsors] [Welsh Produce] [Arts & Crafts]

All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2008
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know.
Email: [email protected]



Help Keep this site


This Space
could be YOURS
From Just �30
a Year

Click Here to
Find Out More

Help us to keep
this Site up and running



Bold Red
Internal Link
External Link

 Admission Charges
 B&B�s/Guest Houses Campsites/Caravans
 Credit Cards
 Disabled Facilities
 Farmers Markets
 Historic Houses
 Opening Hours
 Places of Worship
 Telephone No.
 Tourist Information
 Web Address
 Welsh Produce
 Youth Hostels
llustration(s) or photograph(s) viewable Illustration(s) or