Dyserth (Diserth) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
DYSERTH (DISERTH), a parish, in the union of St. Asaph, partly within the limits of the borough of Rhuddlan, partly in the hundred of Rhuddlan, and partly in that of Prestatyn, county of Flint, North Wales, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Rhuddlan; containing 892 inhabitants. This place was anciently distinguished for a castle, of which mention occurs in various records, under the several appellations of Din Colyn, Castell y Failon, and Castell Gerri. Of its original foundation nothing certain is known: it was probably of Welsh origin, and is supposed to have formed the last of a chain of British posts on the Clwydian hills. The castle was fortified by Henry III., about the year 1241; but, within less than twenty years after, it was razed to the ground by Llewelyn ab Grufydd. During the siege, Einon, son of Ririd Vlaidd, was slain: and a cross was erected to his memory on the spot, the shaft of which, ornamented with rude sculpture, was subsequently made to form part of a stile into the churchyard. The small remains of the castle, consisting only of a few fragments, occupy the summit of a limestone rock about half a mile from the village: from this spot is an extensive view of the Irish Sea and part of the Vale of Clwyd. In the same vicinity are the ruins of another building, called Siambre Wen, and Eglwys Wen.
The parish is bounded on the north-west by the Irish Sea, and comprises 1842 acres, of which 84 are common or waste land. The turnpike-road from Holywell, through Newmarket, to Rhuddlan, passes through the village. In a part of the parish, included in the Bishop of St. Asaph's manor of Rhuddlan, is the Talar Gôch lead-mine, of the produce of which the bishop receives the usual proportion as lord of the manor; a part of the mine extends into the parish of Meliden, and the produce, which in 1847 amounted to nearly 1000 tons of ore, is shipped off from Rhuddlan to the vicinity of Flint, where it is principally smelted. Near the church was formerly a beautiful cascade, formed by a stream from Fynnon Asaph, in the parish of Cwm; but it is now almost destroyed by the diversion of the stream to the mines. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph; net income, £160. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £388. 12. 3., with an impropriate glebe of nineteen acres and a quarter, valued at £24 per annum. The church, dedicated to St. Bridget, is a small neat edifice, without either tower or spire, but embellished with a fine window of painted glass, removed from Basingwerk Abbey, near Holywell, at the time of the Dissolution. Within the church are some gravestones of Knights Templars; and in the churchyard, which is ornamented with several fine yew-trees, are two singular tombstones with a bow sculptured upon each, and an ancient pillar or weeping-stone, from which the primitive chiefs and princes are said to have dispensed their judgments. The ancient mansion here in which the archdeacons of St. Asaph formerly resided was rebuilt, in 1799, for a parsonage-house, and was enlarged by the late, and considerably improved and beautified by the present incumbent. There are places of worship for dissenters; a small dame's-school, principally supported by the curate; and three Sunday schools, one of them in connexion with the Church. The charitable bequests are few: the principal is an annual sum of £2, bequeathed by Edward Jones in 1636, arising from the Bôdryddan estate in the neighbourhood, and which is distributed among the poor on St. Thomas's day. Parry, Bishop of St. Asaph, died at Dyserth in 1623.
or, union of Kington, within the liberties of the borough of New Radnor, county of Radnor, South Wales, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from New Radnor; containing 50 inhabitants. This chapelry is situated on the eastern side of the tract called the Forest of Radnor. Divine service has been discontinued in the chapel, owing to its proximity to the chapel of Kinnerton, and church of Cascob.