Eglwys-Cummin (Eglwys-Cymmyn) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
EGLWYS-CUMMIN (EGLWYS-CYMMYN), a parish, in the union of Narberth, Lower division of the hundred of Derllŷs, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 4 miles (S. W.) from St. Clear's, near the road to Haverfordwest; containing 349 inhabitants. This parish, which is of considerable antiquity, derives some degree of celebrity from an allusion made to it by Sir John Pryce, in his history of the Welsh wars, as the place in which a peace was once concluded; and a memorial of this event is preserved in the name of "Peace Park," given to the spot on which the negotiations were transacted. The parish is of great extent, and is situated at the south-western extremity of the county, on the borders of Pembrokeshire. It is bounded by the parishes of Marros, Pendine, and Kifig; and two streams intersect it, which, after pursuing a subterraneous course for a considerable distance, discharge their waters into Carmarthen bay. A considerable portion of it is uncultivated. The living is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £200, and the glebe comprises three acres and a half, valued at £3. 12. per annum; with a glebe-house. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, contains a monument to the memory of Sir John Perrot, who was the first sheriff of the county of Pembroke: on the chalice of the communion-plate is inscribed, in old letters, Poculum Ecclesiæ de Eglos Skymine, with the date 1574; the word Skymine, signifying "bleak," being supposed to allude to the situation of the church on a lofty unsheltered eminence. There is a place of worship for Independents, with a Sunday school held in it. Zacharias Thomas, in 1682, bequeathed to the poor not receiving parochial relief a rent-charge of £1. 6. 8. Some vestiges of an ancient military earthwork exist in a field here, which, from that circumstance, has obtained the appellation of "Castell Park."