Esgair-Geiliog - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
ESGAIR-GEILIOG, a hamlet, in the parish of Moughtrey, union of Newtown and Llanidloes, Upper division of the hundred of Montgomery, county of Montgomery, North Wales, 4 miles (S. W.) from Newtown; containing 256 inhabitants. This hamlet forms the upper portion of the parish, being situated among the mountains bordering on Radnorshire. The uninclosed parts of those hills, which exhibit many singular chasms, are allotted as sheepwalks to the different contiguous farms, under an inclosure act passed in 1797. The road from Newtown to Knighton and Builth passes through the eastern extremity of the hamlet.