Ferryside - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
FERRYSIDE, a village, in the parish of St. Ishmael's, hundred of Kidwelly, union and county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 4 miles (N. W.) from Kidwelly: the population is returned with the parish. This small village, from its situation on the south-eastern bank of the river Towy, near its influx into Carmarthen bay, has risen into notice and esteem as a watering-place, and, from its proximity to Carmarthen, promises to become in a short time a valuable appendage to that rapidly improving town. The sands are remarkably fine, affording delightful walks along the margin of the sea; the air is pure and salubrious; and the surrounding scenery abounds with objects of interest and beauty; advantages which, united with the facilities for sea-bathing which the place affords, and the accommodations that have been provided for visiters who frequent it for that purpose, have already raised it to a degree of importance among the places of similar resort on this coast. It contains several genteel private dwellings and respectable lodging-houses for visiters; and the neighbourhood affords a variety of excursions. There is a daily post; a regular communication is carried on with Carmarthen by means of passageboats, and the South Wales railway will run through the place: the vicinity affords an abundant supply of coal, and its spring water is excellent. The view directly from the village, across the river, embraces the tastefully ornamented lawns of Llanstephan Place, with the mansion, and the luxuriant plantations above it; on one side the venerable and picturesque ruins of Llanstephan Castle, and on the other the village church, half-embosomed in trees; with the noble stream of the Towy, which is here a mile in breadth, in the foreground of the whole. About a mile east, situated on a rising ground, is the mansion of Iscoed, formerly the residence of the Mansell family, of whom it was purchased by the late General Sir Thomas Picton.
At the suggestion of Dr. Burgess, Bishop of St. David's, a church was erected by subscription, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society for building and enlarging churches and chapels, in consideration of which assistance 192 seats were reserved for the poor. This church, which is dedicated to St. Thomas, was opened for divine service in 1828, and is a neat and appropriate structure, in every respect adapted to the accommodation of the inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Ishmael's for the time being, and was endowed by the late Rev. Edward Picton with �4 per annum, to which have been added �600 royal bounty; net income, �23. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists, and two Sunday schools are held, one of them in connexion with the Established Church, and the other with the dissenting congregation. Among the attractions of the place may be mentioned the scientifically conducted apiary of Dr. Bevan, author of the "Honey Bee," to which visiters are allowed admission.