Flint Town United FC is a Welsh football club representing the Flintshire town of Flint in Wales. They are nicknamed the The Silkmen, and play their home games at Cae-y-Castell, Flint. They currently play in the Cymru Alliance league.
Flint Town United currently play their games at Cae-y-Castell lit. "The Castle Field", a purpose built stadium, the previous one becoming a shopping park complex. Flint Town are currently in financial trouble, having been unable to find a proper sponsorship deal for the team. However, despite this they finished third in the previous season, despite having had points deduced for refusing to play a game in the mid-week. Their traditional rivals are Holywell Town FC (the local town rivalry) and Connah's Quay Nomads FC (Their other local rival). They finished third in the 2006-07 season of Cymru Alliance.
The team was founded in 1886 as Flint F.C., playing at Strand Park. Soon after, there were three teams in Flint, Flint FC, Flint Athletic and Flint UAC (United Alkali Company). Flint F.C. and Flint UAC merged in 1905 to become 'Flint Town'. After World War I they got their nickname 'The Silkmen', from the textile industries that were present at the time. In 1924 they left Strand Park to a new ground at Holywell Road, were they would play for the next 71 years.
After World War II, they merged with Flint Athletic, finally becoming Flint Town United. In 1954 Flint Town won their biggest honour to date - the Welsh Cup when they defeated Chester City F.C. (an English team, no less) 2-0 at Wrexham A.F.C.'s Racecourse ground. Having defeated their local rivals Holywell Town FC, Oswestry Town FC, Rhyl FC, Llanelli FC and (at the time) a First Division Cardiff City FC on the way.
However, the club declined in the 60's, returning to local football for the next two decades. They rejoined the Welsh league in the 87-88 season, going on to win it a season later. In 1990, Flint Town United was one of the founding members of the new Cymru Alliance. They went on to win the inaugural league with 73 points. In 1992 they became one of the founding members of the League of Wales. However, they were relegated in the 97-98 season to the Cymru Alliance and have been there since.
In 1995 they left the Holywell Road pitch to move to the purpose-built Cae-y-Castell stadium.