and all things Welsh
Do you have any photographs of this location we can use on the site?
Please email them along with a description to [email protected].
They will remain your copyright and you will be credited as the photographer.
Gwersyllt (derived from the Welsh word, "Gwersyll" meaning "campsite") is one of the most populated and largest villages in Wrexham, and indeed even North Wales. It is situated north of the town of Wrexham, bordering with nearby villages of Bradley, Llay, Cefn-y-Bedd, Summerhill and Sydallt, within Wrexham County Borough. It is unknown the era in which the village started life, however it grew rapidly with the local coalmining industry.
The area was known to be home to several coalmining collieries of which many features still remain. In 1896, the Gwersyllt coal mine owned by Edward Griffiths had 185 employees with 167 below ground. It was in operation by 1881.
The area was well situated between the collieries of the Moss Valley and Bradley, and it also had good infrastructure links, which included local railway (of which is still in use), and prior to that, canal links (of which a local street is named after, Heol-y-Camlas, meaning Canal Road. It is unknown the location of the canal or if it was actually completed).
The village's church, Holy Trinity, is suspected to date back to the 1800s, however there is no official documentation.
In the mid-20th Century, the area became subject to the build of council housing amongst existing Georgian builds. The area quickly gained popularity, and local services, including the local Holy Trinity School (moved to become Ysgol Bryn Golau and Ysgol-y-Drindod between 1975 and 1977, the two have more recently merged in 2005 to become Ysgol Heulfan), and Ysgol Bryn Alyn started to emerge.
Services & Facilities
Residents of Gwersyllt benefit from many local facilities.
- Gwyn Evans Sports Centre, named after local councillor and school teacher, this facility consists of a 25 metre swimming pool and lare multi-use sports hall. The venue houses many events including birthday parites, and presently is home to the Gwersyllt Library, while its permament building is being re-built. The facility is on the grounds of Ysgol Bryn Alyn, who use it regularly for physical eduaction lessons.
- Gwersyllt Partnership Centre is a multi-use centre, formally the local health clinic, which offers citizens advice, nursery and products for mothers and babies.
- Gwersyllt Community Centre was the name of the building which housed Gwersyllt Library and leased out its rooms, and has recently been demolished to be re-built, expected to be complete by 2007.
- Gwersyllt railway station is the local railway station which links to many national lines, the nearest being Wrexham General Station.
- Supermarkets, including Somerfield and Lidl. The ground where the Lidl is at present was formally used by Co-op UK, however it was destroyed by fire in the early 1990s.
- Kwik Save Centre is a shopping precinct, formally headed by the supermarket chain Kwik Save. Its various shops include Iceland, Toymaster and a variety of independent retailers.In this state of time Kwik Save is known as Somerfield since early 2006.
- Schools, including Ysgol Bryn Alyn secondary school, Gwersyllt County Primary school and Ysgol Heulfan Primary School.
- Holy Trinity Church is of the Chuch in Wales Christian denominiation.
- The Studios is the headquarters of the former Marcher Radio Group, which produces and broadcasts radio programmes to Marcher Sound, Buzz 97.1, Coast 96.3, Champion FM 103 and Classic Gold Marcher.
- Other local services include local health clinic, hairdressing salon, caf�, public housees convenience stores and open ground.
The majority of the area is council housing, which the major area is considered to be First Avenue, which links to all the other major roads in the area. The nearest dual carriageway is named the Mold Road, which runs from Wrexham to Mold, which can be found at the bottom of the village.
Gwersyllt - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
GWERSYLLT, a township, in the parish of Gresford, union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 2� miles (N. N. W.) from Wrexham, on the road to Mold; containing 969 inhabitants. This hamlet, which is sometimes regarded as divided into Lower and Upper Gwersyllt, is pleasantly situated on elevated ground, commanding in some parts a fine view of the Vale Royal of Cheshire. Coal-mines are in active operation; also two mills for drawing wire. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Wat's Dyke, an ancient boundary between England and Wales, is distinctly visible in this hamlet, first pursuing a northern course from the point of the Alyn, near Kumick's Mill, and then following the eastern bank of that river, until it leaves the parish in a direction towards Caergwrle. At the mansion of Upper Gwersyllt resided Colonel John Robinson, who distinguished himself in the civil war of the seventeenth century; the grounds command a fine view of the Hope mountains and of Caergwrle Castle, and the walks by the side of the river Alyn are romantically beautiful. Lower Gwersyllt, soon after the Restoration, became the property of the ancient and respectable family of Shakerley, who made several benefactions to the poor of the parish, and who abandoned the place on account of a calamitous fire which occurred in April, 1738. This ancient seat, however, is still occupied. The tithes have been commuted for �180. 2. 6. payable to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester, and �81. 17. 6. payable to the vicar of Gresford.
All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2008
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know.
Email: [email protected]