Investors in Cats

Welsh Icons - Castles of Wales
Gwydir Castle

Welsh Icons
About Wales

and all things Welsh

Gwydir Castle

 Back

 Previous

Next

Gwydir Castle is situated in the Conwy valley in north Wales, a mile to the west of the ancient market town of Llanrwst, and 1.5 miles to the south of the village of Trefriw. The castle is located on the edge of the floodplain of the River Conwy, and on its western side are the now-forested slopes of Gwydir Forest.

History
There has been a fortification of some sort on the site since AD 600, and in the Dark Ages a large number of skirmishes were fought in this area between the various rival princes and their forces, the most significant being in 610 and 954.

Gwydir became the ancestral home of the powerful Wynn family, descended from the Kings of Gwynedd, and one of the most significant families of North Wales during the Tudor and Stuart periods.

By the 14th century some form of manorial house had evolved, and the first recorded owner was Howell ap Coetmore, who fought in the Hundred Years' War and was a commander of longbowmen under Edward, the Black Prince at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356.

Following the Wars of the Roses the castle was rebuilt by Meredith ap Jevan ap Robert, the founder of the Wynn dynasty. The house incorporated re-used mediaeval material from the dissolved Abbey of Maenan. The square turret at the rear of the Solar Tower contains a spiral staircase taken from the Abbey and many elaborately carved stones can also be seen. The turret was added around 1540 and Sir John Wynn's initials can be seen above the main entrance in the courtyard gatehouse along with the date of 1555. The surviving buildings date from around the year 1500, and there were alterations and additions in c1540, c1600 and c1828.

Although called a castle, it is a fine example of a Tudor courtyard house, rather than a traditional castle, such as those built in North Wales by Llywelyn the Great and Edward I.

Gwydir was home to Catherine of Berain, cousin of Queen Elizabeth I. King Charles is also said to have visited Gwydir in 1645 as the guest of Sir Richard Wynn, 2nd Baronet, Treasurer to Queen Henrietta Maria, and Groom of the Royal Bed Chamber.

More recently King George V and Queen Mary stayed here as the Duke and Duchess of York, in April 1899.

The 20th Century
In 1921 the castle was desecrated. The 1640s panelled main dining room was totally stripped, the carved and gilded panelling being bought at auction by William Randolph Hearst, the American press baron. On his death, the panels were inherited by the Metropolitan Museum of Art and until recently languished in storage. The new owners of Gwydir succeeded in tracing these long lost panels and negotiated with the museum which generously allowed their return to Wales. They have been carefully replaced in their original setting and the restored dining room was recently re-opened in 1998 at a ceremony attended by the Prince of Wales.

In 1922 a fire broke out and gutted the Solar Tower, leaving it roofless. A subsequent fire in the West Wing made the place untenable, and it was abandoned, remaining unoccupied until 1944. In this year it was bought by Arthur Clegg, a retired bank manager, who, together with his wife and son, started a 20 year programme of renovation.

A further period of abandonment followed, when damage was caused by squatters.

The castle is now privately owned by Peter and Judith Welford, who are continuing sensitive restoration with authenticity as the main consideration. The story of this recent restoration (which is being done with the backing of Cadw) is told in Judy Corbett's book "Castles in the Air".

The Gardens
The castle is set within a Grade 1 listed, 10-acre garden, which contains some ancient cedars ó one of which was planted in 1625 to commemorate the wedding of Charles I to Queen Henrietta-Maria. One yew tree, known as the "Lovers Tree" or "Giant Yew", is estimated to be between 600 and 1000 years old, and therefore pre-dates the castle itself.

The raised terrace contains an imposing renaissance arch, probably dating from the 1590s.

The Old Dutch Garden contains ancient yew topiary and an octagonal fountain.

The Royal and Statesman's gardens contain oaks planted during the royal visit of 1899, and in 1911.

An Elizabethan causeway called the Chinese Walk runs across the felds to the River Conwy, where the remains of the Gwydir Quay can be seen. The River Conwy is tidal up to this point.

Ghosts
The castle has the reputation for being one of the most haunted houses in Wales, the "Grey Lady" being the most commonly seen, together with the ghost of a monk said to have been trapped in a tunnel leading from the secret room, and Sir John Wynn himself. Many local people will testify to having seen ghosts in the castle.

Gwydir Uchaf Chapel
Gwydir Uchaf Chapel, in the woods above Gwydir Castle, was built in 1673 by Sir Richard Wynn as a family memorial chapel for the Wynns of Gwydir. The simple exterior provides a direct contrast with its beautifully painted ceiling, depicting the Creation, the Trinity and the Last Judgement.

This chapel should not be confused with the one adjoining Llanrwst Church, called Gwydir Chapel. (This was built in 1633 by an earlier Sir Richard Wynn, and issaid to have been designed by Inigo Jones. It has elaborate wood panelling, several family tombs and a stone coffin said to be that of Llywelyn ab Iorwerth, moved from Maenan Abbey at the Dissolution.)

 Telephone:

01492 641687

 Website:

http://www.gwydircastle.co.uk/

 Admission Charge:-

Admission: Adult £3.50, Child £1.50,
Group discount 10% (over 30 persons)

 Hours:

1st March - 31st October daily,
10am - 4.30pm.
Closed occasionally on Saturdays for weddings - please telephone
Limited openings at other times

Gwydyr Castle, Llanrwst, Wales


 

Comment Script
Post this page to: del.icio.us Yahoo! MyWeb Digg reddit Furl Blinklist Spurl

Comments

Name
E-mail (Will not appear online)
Title
Comment
;-) :-) :-D :-( :-o >-( B-) :oops: :-[] :-P
[Home] [Food & Drink] [Symbols] [Sport] [Products] [Places] [Buildings] [Artists] [Entertainers] [Events] [Famous Welsh] [Journalists] [Musicians] [Politicians] [Songs] [Writers] [Welsh Info] [About Us] [Vox Pop] [Contact Us] [Forums] [Our Sponsors] [Welsh Produce] [Arts & Crafts]

All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2008
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know.
Email: [email protected]

 

This Space
could be YOURS
From Just £30
a Year

Click Here to
Find Out More

Help us to keep
this Site up and running

 

Key

Bold Red
Internal Link
Red
External Link

 Admission Charges
 Address
 Arts/Galleries
 Buses
 B&Bís/Guest Houses Campsites/Caravans
 Castles
 Credit Cards
 Cricket
 Disabled Facilities
 Email
 Farmers Markets
 Fax
 Film
 Food
 Football
 Parks/Gardens
 Golf
 Historic Houses
 Hotels
 Libraries
 Museums
 Opening Hours
 Pubs/Bars
 Rugby
 Shops/Gifts
 Taxis:
 Telephone No.
 Theatres
 Tourist Information
 Trains
 Vets
 Web Address
 Welsh Produce
 Youth Hostels
llustration(s) or photograph(s) viewable Illustration(s) or
       photograph(s)

This Month

October 6th

Ioan Gruffudd (actor) born 1973 in Cardiff

October 8th

Ray Reardon (snooker player) born 1932 in Tredegar

October 11th

Dawn French. Born 1957 Holyhead

October 27th

Dylan Thomas
(writer/poet)
Born 1914