Johnston - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
JOHNSTON, a parish, in the union of Haverfordwest, hundred of Rh�s, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 3� miles (S. S. W.) from Haverfordwest, on the road to Milford; containing 289 inhabitants. The environs of this place are pleasant, and contain some agreeable scenery, with several respectable seats. Johnston Hall, an ancient mansion, was for a long time the residence of the late Lord Kensington. The lands, which are all freehold, are chiefly inclosed, and in a good state of cultivation. The parish abounds with culm and limestone; the former is worked for the supply of the neighbourhood, and the latter also on a limited scale, chiefly to be burnt for manure. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the living of Steynton, rated in the king's books at �2. 0. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown; present net income of the benefice, �322. The tithes of Johnston parish have been commuted for a rent-charge of �105, and the glebe comprises twenty-five acres, valued at �25 per annum; with a glebe-house. The church is not distinguished by any peculiar architectural features. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A National school was erected in 1834, at the expense of the late J. Bowen, Esq., of Johnston, together with a grant from the National Society; and two Sunday schools are held, one of them in connexion with the Church, and the other with the Baptist denomination.