Lisvane (Llŷs-Faen) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LISVANE (LLŶS-FAEN), a parish, in the union of Cardiff, hundred of Kibbor, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Cardiff; containing 207 inhabitants. It is situated on the western bank of the Romney, which here separates the counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £1000 royal bounty and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the alternate patronage of C. K. Kemeys Tynte, Esq., and the representative of the late Earl of Plymouth, the impropriators; net income, £60. The church is dedicated to St. Denis. Mary Lewis, in 1728, conveyed a moiety of the tithes of the parish, in order that a salary of £5 should be paid out of the rents to a schoolmaster, for instructing the poor children of Lisvane, and a similar sum to a person for teaching those of the adjoining parish of Llanishen; the residue of the profits to be expended in placing them out as apprentices: the tithes, which produce about £70 per annum, are also charged with an annual payment of £10 to the perpetual curate. The same benevolent lady bequeathed two acres of land in the parish of Romney, Monmouth, for the benefit of the poor, the rent of which, with a similar bequest by Moses Thomas, in 1775, of three acres, the whole producing £8 per annum, is distributed at Christmas among those not receiving parochial relief. The children attend a school in the parish of Llanishen. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists, with a Sunday school held in it.