Llanbedrog (Llan-Bedrog) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LLANBEDROG (LLAN-BEDROG), a parish, in the union of Pwllheli, hundred of Gaflogion, Lleyn division of the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 4 miles (S. W.) from Pwllheli; containing 512 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the north-western shore of Cardigan bay, near St. Tudwal's Roads; it has the advantage of a secure though inconsiderable bay, affording good anchorage, and maintains a direct communication with Carnarvon, South Wales, Liverpool, and Dublin. The village, which is small, is situated in a beautifully picturesque valley, embosomed in mountains, on one of which, partly in the adjoining parish of Llangian, was a well called Fynnon Dduw, or "God's well," about three yards square, inclosed with a wall from four to five feet high. The waters of this well were formerly much esteemed for their efficacy in rheumatic complaints; and adjoining to it was another, about a yard square, from which the invalids used to drink the water. It was customary for the people of the neighbouring country to assemble around the well for the celebration of rustic sports, but it has now for many years been neglected. WernVawr, the only house of any importance in the parish, is a spacious and ancient mansion.
The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacies of Llanvihangel-B�chelleth and Llangian annexed, rated in the king's books at �25. 11. 5�.; patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The tithes of this parish and Llanvihangel-B�chelleth have been commuted for a rent-charge of �662, and there is a glebe of eight and a half acres, valued at �9. 10. per annum; also a glebe-house. The church, dedicated to St. Pedroc, son of Clement, Prince of Cornwall, by whom it is supposed to have been founded in the seventh century, is a small neat edifice, and was thoroughly repaired in 1827, at an expense of �130; in some of the windows are fragments of ancient stained glass. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, and Independents. A school is supported principally by the rector; and four Sunday schools are held, one of them in connexion with the Church, and the others belonging to the dissenters. A small cottage and garden, originally given to the church, and formerly tenanted by the parish-clerk, are now occupied rent free, by a poor man's family, forming the only charitable endowment in the parish.