Llanedarn (Llan-Edeyrn) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LLANEDARN (LLAN-EDEYRN), a parish, in the poor-law union of Cardiff, hundred of Kibbor, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, on the banks of the Romney, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Cardiff; containing 354 inhabitants. This parish, which lies on the eastern confine of the county, comprises about 2550 acres of land, partly arable and partly pasture. The surface, though in general low, presents some pleasing scenery; it gradually rises on the north into an elevated ridge, in some parts richly wooded, and is embellished with several genteel mansions, the principal of which are, New House, Ruperra, and Cevn-Mably. Towards the west the venerable cathedral of Llandaf, and southward Cardiff and the Bristol Channel, are included in the prospect. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of St. Mellon's, in the county of Monmouth, and rated in the king's books at £5. 8. 11½.; the impropriation is vested in the Chapter of Llandaf. The church, a small simple structure, is dedicated to St. Edeyrn, who, it is stated, established a Christian society here, amounting in number to 300 persons. At Penygroes, three-quarters of a mile distant from the church, is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, with a Sunday school held in it. The Rev. William Edwards, in 1782, bequeathed £400 for charitable purposes, £100 of which he directed should be applied for the use of the poor of this parish: the interest of this sum, which, with the remainder of the bequest, is in the hands of Sir Charles Morgan, of Tredegar, Bart., is distributed in January among such poor as are not receiving parochial relief.