Llansannan (Llan-Sannan) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LLANSANNAN (LLAN-SANNAN), a parish, in the union of St. Asaph, Higher division of the hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 8 miles (W.) from Denbigh, on the road to Llanrwst; containing 1406 inhabitants. It derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Sannan, the intimate friend and companion of the father of St. Winifred, who lived here in religious seclusion, and was buried near the remains of the latter at Gwytherin. The village is situated at the head of the narrow vale of the river Aled, which rises in Llyn Aled at no great distance, and in its course along the vale forms some interesting cascades. The parish comprises about 13,000 acres, of which 6000 are common or waste; the soil, though various, is tolerably fertile. The surrounding scenery is almost totally devoid of beauty, the country presenting little more than an uninviting prospect of dreary wastes and mountainous ground. In the small vale near the village is Dyfryn Aled, a splendid mansion, built by the late Mrs. Yorke, the heiress of the estate, and situated on the slope of a hill opposite the old house, which was for several generations a seat of the Wynne family. Fairs, chiefly for the sale of cattle, horses, sheep, and wool, are held annually on May 18th, August 17th, October 26th, and November 30th. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £5. 0. 10.; present net income, £376, with a glebehouse. The church is an ancient edifice, occupying a somewhat romantic situation, but possessing no architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, Baptists, and Independents; a day school, and some Sunday schools. The benefaction-table in the church records four charities, amounting to £60, the interest of which was to be dispensed to the sick and destitute; but it would appear from Gilbert's returns of 1786, and other documents, that the principal was borrowed by the parish to defray certain repairs of the church: a small sum was paid annually out of the church-rate until 1835, when the vestry resolved to discontinue it, and it is therefore lost to the poor.