Mary's, St., otherwise Maenclochog (Maen-Clochog) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
MARY'S, ST., otherwise MAENCLOCHOG (MAEN-CLOCHOG), a parish, in the union of Narberth, comprising the townships of Maenclochog and Vorlan, the former in the hundred of Kemmes, and the latter in that of Dungleddy, county of Pembroke, South Wales; containing 503 inhabitants, of which number 456 are in the township of St. Mary's, or Maenclochog, 12 miles (N. E.) from Haverfordwest. This place derived its name "Maenclochog" from a large stone, several tons in weight, so nicely poised upon three small upright stones, as to vibrate on the slightest touch, and, upon its being struck, to sound like a bell: this curious relic was destroyed by some of the inhabitants, who, induced by the vain expectation of finding some hidden treasure, blew it up with gunpowder. The parish, which is surrounded by the parishes of Nevern, Morvil, Henry's-Moat, and Llanycevn, is situated in a mountainous district, and comprises an area of about 1000 acres, whereof part is arable, part pasture, &c., and about two acres woodland; the chief agricultural produce being barley and oats. A large portion of the Percelly mountain, the highest in this part of Wales, is within its limits: the ancient Welsh name of this mountain is Preswylva, signifying "a place of residence," and is derived from its having been the resort of the natives, on account of its security, in the intestine wars by which this portion of the principality was agitated during the earlier periods of its history. It was well clothed with forest timber, affording shelter to such as took refuge in its recesses, but now presents a bare and sterile aspect, exhibiting some small vestiges of old encampments, probably constructed by the natives. The village, which occupies the summit of a bleak and barren eminence, is of considerable size, and the inhabitants, with the exception of such as are engaged in working a quarry of slate of good quality, are employed in agriculture. A fair is held on the 18th of September, for cattle, sheep, &c., which is in general well attended.
The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant; present net income, £70; patron, T. Bowen, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £150, of which £100 are payable to Mr. Bowen, and £50 to the vicar, who has also a glebe of two acres, valued at £2. 10. per annum. The chapels of Llandilo and Llangolman were formerly chapels of ease attached to the vicarage, but they have been endowed, and subsequently augmented with Queen Anne's Bounty, the two districts being erected into distinct parishes: they are now perpetual curacies, held as one incumbency. Maenclochog church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated in the centre of the village. There are two places of worship for Independents, with a Sunday school held in each of them.