Minera - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
MINERA, an extensive chapelry, in that part of the parish of Wrexham which is in the hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, in the union of Wrexham, North Wales, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Wrexham; containing, in 1841, 628 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises the western portion of the parish, and abounds with mineral wealth, from which circumstance the name is supposed to be derived: its ancient appellation was Mwyn-Glawdd, or "the mine upon the ditch," in allusion to Offa's Dyke. It is bounded on the north by the river Alyn, which rises in this hilly district. The greater portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the mines, consisting of iron, lead, and coal, the last wrought to a considerable extent; the leadmines are discontinued, owing to the influx of water, and though seven steam-engines and a mill have been employed in clearing them, the attempt has proved unsuccessful. A branch of the Chester and Shrewsbury railway was opened to Minera in the summer of 1847. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant; patron, the Vicar of Wrexham; income, £100. The chapel is a small cruciform structure. A tithe rent-charge of £128. 10. is paid to the impropriators, and one of £34. 10. to the Vicar of Wrexham.—See Brymbo.