and all things Welsh
Do you have any photographs of this location we can use on the site?
Please email them along with a description to [email protected]
They will remain your copyright and you will be credited as the photographer.
Morriston (Welsh: Treforys) is a town in the City and County of Swansea, South Wales. Morriston is now the most populous of all Swansea's suburbs.
The town is centred around the main Woodfield street, an extremely busy and congested shopping street during the day. Woodfield street runs in a north-south axis. The terrain slopes gently downwards to the east and steeply upwards to the west. To the south of the main shopping area of Woodfield street lies a curious roundabout formed by a church - a famous landmark of Morriston town.
Morriston Hospital, the largest in the Swansea area, is located at Cwmrhydyceirw, approximately one mile north of Morriston town centre. All British driver registration is handled by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency which also is located in Clase, a suburb west of Morriston Town and is a major employer of local people.
The Morriston Orpheus Choir has an international reputation as a male voice choir.
Morriston was constructed as a new town on a grid pattern and was named after its founder, Sir John Morris, Bt. The grid pattern remains in evidence today. Morris originally named the town "Morris Town", but this was shortened into the single word "Morriston". The Welsh language translation of the name, Treforys, will also often be seen.
Sir John Morris was also responsible for the construction between 1768 and 1774 known as Morris Castle, widely considered to have been the world's first accommodation built specifically for workers by their employer. Little of the structure remains today, although its ruins are visible on high ground above the nearby Landore district.
Morriston was initially constructed for the workers of the tin-plate and copper industries that built up along the banks of the River Tawe in the 18th Century, and by the 19th Century it was the tin-plate capital of the world. However, this industry went into decline with the invention of the strip mill, which required massive investment. Tin plating had almost vanished from the area by the end of the Second World War, with modern works being situated further east in Port Talbot.
Metalworking in Morriston came to an end in 1980 with the closure of the last tin-plate works.
The name Morriston is also used to describe the electoral ward and the community, both of which include the town. Morriston has its own town council.
The electoral ward consists of some or all of the following areas: Caemawr, Cwmrhydyceirw, Morriston, Parc Gwernfadog, Pant-lasau, Ynysforgan and Ynystawe, in the parliamentary constituency of Swansea East. The ward is bounded by Llansamlet and Clydach to the east; Bon-y-maen and Landore to the south; Mynydd-Bach and Llangyfelach to the west; and Mawr to the north.
Morriston is one of two five member wards in the Swansea local authority area.
Originally separate and distinct, Morriston is now regarded as a suburb of the city of Swansea, which lies three miles to the south-west.
- William Richard Arnold, Welsh rugby international
- Anthony Clement, Welsh rugby international
- D.Z. Phillips, Philosopher of Religion
Morriston - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
MORRISTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Llangyvelach, poor-law union of Swansea, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Swansea: its population, which is very considerable, is returned with that of the township of Higher and Lower Clâs, wherein it is situated. This village is of recent origin, and derives its name from its founder and late proprietor, Sir John Morris, who built it for the residence of the persons engaged in the copper-works and collieries in the district. It is situated on the western bank of the river Tawe or Tawy, which is here navigable for sloops of small burthen, and which, falling into the harbour of Swansea, affords a facility for the conveyance of mineral produce to that port, as does also the Swansea canal, passing close to the village. The different ranges of building are formed with great regularity, after a plan by Mr. W. Edwards, designed about the year 1768, with a view to the formation of regular streets, in the probable event of its ultimately becoming a town, from the future extension of the works, and the advantages of its situation in the heart of an extensive district abounding with mineral wealth, and on the bank of a navigable river near the sea-port of Swansea. The living is a perpetual curacy; present net income, £85; patron and impropriator, Sir John Morris, Bart. The chapel is a neat structure, and is appropriately fitted up. There are places of worship for dissenters, a National day and Sunday school, and some Sunday schools belonging to the dissenters. The chapelry is included within the boundaries of the borough of Swansea.
All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2008
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know.
Email: [email protected]