New-Quay - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
NEW-QUAY, a sea-port, in the parish of Llanllwchaiarn, union of Aberaëron, hundred of Moythen, county of Cardigan, South Wales, 15 miles (N. W. by W.) from Lampeter: the population is included in the return for the parish. This place is advantageously situated on the shore of Cardigan bay, and affords good anchorage to vessels of 500 tons: the depth of water is from two to six fathoms. The haven is securely sheltered from the westerly winds, and, if improved to the extent of which it is susceptible, might be made an excellent harbour of refuge. The pier, at least, might be enlarged, for which purpose a subscription was opened with success; but the attempt has been hitherto frustrated by the want of a sufficient title to the land, which would be requisite to carry that object into effect. In 1835 an act was obtained for making a road from this place to Aberaëron; and in November 1847 a treasury warrant was issued for transferring this creek and Aberaëron from the port of Cardigan to that of Aberystwith. There are sixty schooners and thirty smaller vessels belonging to New-Quay, averaging from 20 to 200 tons' burthen, and employing about 390 men. Ship-building is extensively carried on, and very fine stone is worked in the vicinity. Fish of very superior quality are found in abundance on this part of the coast: soles, turbot, and oysters, are taken in great numbers during the season; and a good herring-fishery might also be established with advantage. The village is of considerable size, and is inhabited chiefly by persons connected with the business of the port: comfortable lodgings are provided for visitors, who resort to the place in summer for the benefit of sea-bathing. A fair is held on November 12th.—See Llanllwchaiarn.