Pencarreg (Pen-Careg) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
PENCARREG (PEN-CAREG), a parish, in the union of Lampeter, Higher division of the hundred of Cathinog, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 4 miles (S. W.) from Lampeter; containing 1188 inhabitants. It includes a pleasing and wellwooded tract on the Teivy, and is intersected by the road from Lampeter to Carmarthen; a lofty mountain, called Pencarreg, extends across it on the south. The total area is 10,392 acres, of which 3001 are common or waste land. The village is situated upon the left bank of the river; a fair is held in it on October 11th. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £4, and endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant; patron, Pryse Pryse, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £330, of which onethird belongs to the vicar, and two-thirds to the impropriators, Edmund H. Stacey, Esq., and the Rev. B. Williams. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is a small structure of no architectural pretensions. There are places of worship for Independents and Baptists, and three Sunday schools. In the parish is an ancient British fortification, of which no particulars are recorded. About thirty-six silver coins were lately found in a peat bog at Pencarreg.