Pendine (a contraction of Pen-Tywyn) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
PENDINE (a contraction of PEN-TYWYN), a parish, in the union of Narberth, Higher division of the hundred of Derllŷs, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Laugharne; containing 204 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated on the shore of Carmarthen bay, by which it is bounded on the south, and over which it commands a fine prospect. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Eglwys-Cummin, on the east by that of Laugharne, and on the west by that of Marros; and comprises 963 acres, the whole, with the exception of a common of 100 acres affording good pasturage, inclosed and in a state of cultivation. The soil is of a clayey and sandy quality, producing wheat and barley; the surface is rocky and hilly. On the beach, which is well adapted for the purpose of sea-bathing, and affords a pleasing walk, is a natural cavern, whence issues a small rivulet running into the bay. The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to the living of Llandawke: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £67. The church, which is pleasantly situated, is a plain structure, erected about forty years since, and measuring thirty-four feet long by sixteen broad; the sittings are all free, except about six pews, that are attached to the farms of the parish. There is a place of worship for dissenters, in which a Sunday school is likewise held.