Quakers' Yard - The early place name for the district was 'Rhyd y Grug' Or 'The Ford of the Rustling Waters'. This Ford was a simple and easy crossing place of the nearby River Taff, close to its junction with the smaller river Bargoed-Taff. The Ford was replaced in later years by the narrow stone bridge over the River Taff.
The Coming of the Quakers During the early 17th Century those who 'dissented' from the King's Religion were persecuted. This often took the form of imprisonment, or death. By about 1650 a 'dissenting group' of Baptists, independents and Quakers, were worshipping at nearby Berthlwyd Farm Pentwyn (Top of the Hill). The Quakers in turn, soon broke away to establish their own separate community. In the year 1667, these Quakers opened their own burial ground. It was on a piece of land on the pantannas Estate and was owned by Mary Chapman. In her will of 1700, she left the burial ground to the Quakers.
Jimmy Wide (1892 - 1969) Boxer One of the most famous British Boxers of all time, Jimmy Wide was born may 1892 at Pentwyn Deintyr, Quakers Yard. Known as 'The ghost with the Hammer in his hand', he fought 864 contests and lost on 4 occasions only. He was Flyweight Champion of the World from 1916 to 1921.
All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2008 Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube. If you do spot a mistake, please let us know. Email:[email protected]