Abercynon Rugby Football Club is a Welsh rugby union team based in Abercynon. Today, Abercynon RFC plays in the Welsh Rugby Union, Division Two East League.
Founded in 1886 Abercynon RFC firmly established themselves as a playing force in the early 1970’s. After moving from one local pub to another since their formation, the opening of the first clubhouse in the town, a converted shop, acted as a springboard for success and provided an identity for a number of fine players. In the following two decades the club went from strength to strength winning the Mid District Championship 10 times, the Knock–Out Cup on 5 occasions, the Glamorgan County Silver Ball twice and gained an unprecedented hat-trick of wins in the Inter-District Castlemaine XXXX Trophy. The re-location of clubhouse into a custom-built building at Y Parc in 1986 provided the inspiration for a second ‘golden era’ on the field. In season 1990-91 the team secured Heineken League status and in their first year at a higher level won promotion to division 3.
The present club badge, designed in the early 70s, depicts a swing bridge that used to span the River Taff to enable access to the colliery from the Carnetown area of Abercynon. Also on the club badge is the Glamorgan County coat of arms, and the coat of arms of an area bordering on Abercynon known as the Tynte.
Tel: 01443 740586