Abergavenny Rugby Football Club is a Welsh rugby union team based in Abergavenny. Today, Abergavenny RFC plays in the Welsh Rugby Union, Division Three East Leagueand is a feeder club for the Newport Gwent Dragons.
Although there is mention of rugby being played in Abergavenny as far back 1867, the Abergavenny club was formed in 1875 through Faithfull's Army and Navy Training College. In 1877 Abergavenny played their first match under rugby rules against Monmouth School. Although there are reports of Abergavenny playing some matches on the Castle Meadows their first permanent ground was Ysgyborwen Fields which forms the Penypound end of Park Crescent. In later seasons the club moved to the council owned Bailey Park, where the team plays to this day. Changing Rooms were built at the clubhouse in 1960.
Bailey Park - Project Grandstand
The Rugby Club Grandstand in Bailey Park was built in 1999 and at that time had seating in from the old Cardiff Arms Park. It was officially opened by Sir Tasker Watkins President of the WRU. Over the years the stand has suffered much vandalism all the seating and laterly the Welsh slate roof has had to be removed for safety reasons due to vandalism. The roof has been replaced with steel sheeting. Graffiti now forms the backdrop to the stand and it has become a youth shelter for the towns teenagers who over the years have contributed to its appearance. Before each home game many broken bottles and cans have to be collected from the area adjacent to the main pitch and is a constant hazard to the health and safety of the players. The project will take time and money is needed for new seating for supporters and also the stand needs vandal proof shutters to prevent its use to only rugby supporters.
- 1994-95 Welsh League Division 6 East - Champions
Tel 01873 853855