Aberporth (Aber-Porth) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
ABERPORTH (ABER-PORTH), a parish, in the union of Cardigan, lower division of the hundred of Troedyraur, county of Cardigan, South Wales, 6 miles (N. E.) from Cardigan; containing 496 inhabitants. This place is pleasantly situated on the shore of Cardigan bay, in a cove near the mouth of the river Howny, forming a commodious though small port, which is a creek to the port of Cardigan. A brisk trade is carried on in limestone, culm, and coal, with Milford, Swansea, and Liverpool, employing numerous sloops and seamen, porters, and lime-burners: the herring-fishery in the bay also gives occupation to a great number of hands, and during the season imparts an appearance of activity and bustle to the village; but the fishing for turbot, cod, and mackerel, is scarcely worth pursuing. Aberporth is resorted to in summer for sea-bathing. In the vicinity is Cribach Road, which affords good shelter for vessels, and was much frequented by the French, during former wars with that people. The parish is bounded on the north by the sea, on the east by Blaenporth, on the south by Tremaen, and on the west by Verwic. It consists of two hamlets, the rectorial hamlet and that of Llanannerch. Of the latter the tithes are impropriate in the family of Currie, who pay annually to the rector one mark at Easter; it includes the manors of Mortimer �s Syrwen and Mortimer �s Coed. In the hamlet of Llanannerch, according to tradition, was anciently a chapel; but not the slightest vestiges of it now remain.
The parish contains, according to a survey taken in 1839, an area of 2100 acres, of which 1300 are in the rectorial, and 800 in the impropriate, hamlet, the former comprehending 400 acres of arable land, 100 of meadow, and 800 of pasture; and the latter, 250 acres of arable, 50 of meadow, and 500 of pasture. The soil consists partly of loam and clay, partly of gravel and peat, and, when manured with lime, seasand, and dung, yields barley inferior to none on this coast. It is also tolerably productive of oats, but the wheat crops are very indifferent. The lands are destitute of large trees, but are ornamented in several places with clusters of oak, ash, sycamore, and alder; the surface for the most part is hilly, with a few vales intersected by rapid streams, the principal of these being the river Howny, which separates the parish on the east from that of Blaenporth. The rocks on the coast are very precipitous, and afford retreats for numerous foxes and other animals prejudicial to the farmer; the sea abounds with porpoises and seacalves. A lofty hill in the parish commands fine views of Cardigan bay, and the mountains of Snowdon, Cader Idris, and Plinlimmon, the prospect on a clear day extending a considerable distance beyond the Irish coast. The estate of Pl�s, belonging to the family of Morgan, has a mansion of great antiquity, built in the form of a cross; this demesne, as well as that of Pennarissa, formerly exhibited some fine timber, which has given place to a few ornamental plantations. The other seats are, Penralt, erected in the year 1813, a mansion in the Elizabethan style; and Penmar, which has been modernised by Dr. Jones.
The living is a discharged rectory, rated in the king's books at �5. 13. 9., and endowed with �200 royal bounty, and �800 parliamentary grant; patron, the Bishop of St. David's: the rectorial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of �104. 13. 4., and the impropriate for one of �57. 6. 8. The church, dedicated to St. Cynwyl, is a small plain structure of great antiquity, situated on an eminence about one mile from the village, and commanding a beautiful view of the sea. It consists of a nave and chancel, separated by a pointed arch, and measures in length forty-six feet and a half, in breadth twentytwo, and in height thirty, exclusively of the steeple, which is fifteen feet higher. The font is a square basin, placed on a round pillar; the sacramental cup is highly ornamented, but has neither date nor inscription. There are places of worship for congregations of Calvinistic Methodists at Aberporth and Blaenannerch, with a Sunday school for adults and children held in each of them.