Investors in Cats

Welsh Icons - Towns & Villages
Beaumaris

Welsh Icons
About Wales

and all things Welsh

Beaumaris

 Back

 Previous

Next

Beaumaris Castle. Photograph © Janice Lane

The Royal Borough of Beaumaris (Welsh: Biwmares) is the former county town of the island of Anglesey and is located on the shore of the eastern entrance to the Menai Strait - the tidal waterway separating Anglesey from the coast of North Wales.

History
Beaumaris was originally a Viking settlement known as Porth y Wygyr ("Port of the Vikings"), but the town itself began its development in 1295 when Edward I of England commissioned the building of Beaumaris Castle as part of a chain of fortifications around the North Wales coast (others include Conwy, Caernarfon and Harlech).

The ancient village of Llanfaes a mile to the north of Beaumaris had been conquered by the Saxons in 818 but had been freed by Merfyn Frych King of the Isle of Man and remained a vital strategic settlement. To counter further Welsh uprisings, and to ensure control of the Menai Strait, Edward I chose the flat coastal plain as the place to build Beaumaris Castle. The castle was designed by the Savoyard mason Master James of St. George and is considered the most perfect example of a concentric castle. The troublesome residents of Llanfaes were removed en bloc to Rhosyr in the east of Anglesey to a new settlement King Edward entitled "Newborough", whilst French and English masons were brought in to construct the castle itself and the walled town.

Beaumaris was awarded a Royal Charter by Edward I which was drawn up on similar terms the charters of his other castle towns in North Wales and intended to invest only the English and Norman-French residents with civic rights. Native Welsh residents of Beaumaris were largely disqualified from holding any civic office, carrying any weapon, holding assemblies and were not allowed to purchase houses or land within the Borough. The Charter also specifically prohibited Jews (who had been been largely expelled from most English towns) from living in Beaumaris. A requirement that all trade in the immediate area be conducted at Beaumaris meant the town became the main commercial centre of Anglesey.

Beaumaris became one of the three most important Saxon ports in the UK and the port of registration for all vessels in North West Wales covering not only every harbour on Anglesey but all the ports of North West Wales from from Conway to Pwllheli. Shipbuilding was a major industry in Beaumaris. This was centred on Gallows Point a nearby spit of land extending into the Menai Straits about a mile west of the town. Gallows Point had originally been called "Osmund's Eyre" but was renamed when the town gallows were erected there along with a "Dead House" for the corpses of criminals dispatched in public executions. Later, hangings were carried out at the town gaol and the bodies buried in a lime-pit within the curtilage of gaol. One of the last prisoners to hang at Beaumaris issued a curse before he died - decreeing that if he was innocent the four faces of the church clock would never show the same time. Since that day - it's claimed - they never have.

Architecture
Notable buildings in the town include the castle, a courthouse built in 1614, the fourteenth century St Mary's Parish Church, the town gaol and the 14th century Tudor Rose - one of the oldest original timber-framed buildings in Britain and the Bulls Head Inn, built in 1472, which General Thomas Mytton made his headquarters during the "Siege of Beaumaris" during the second English Civil War in 1648. The hill leading north from the town "Red Hill" is so named from the blood spilled in that conflict.

A native of Anglesey, David Hughes, founded Beaumaris Grammar School in 1603. It became a non-selective school in 1952 when Anglesey County Council became the first authority in Britain to adopt comprehensive education. The school was eventually moved to Menai Bridge and only the ancient hall of the original school building now remains.

Beaumaris Pier opened in 1846 was designed by Frederick Foster and comprises a masonry jetty continuing out into the Straits on wooden and concrete pilings. The pier was re-built and extended to 570 feet after storm damage in 1872 and a large pavilion was constructed at the end which contained a cafe. It was once the landing stage for steamers of the Liverpool and North Wales Shipping Company including the 'Snowdon', 'La Marguerite', 'St. Elvies' and 'St Trillo' although the larger vessels in its fleet - the 'St Seriol', and 'St Tudno' were too large for the pier and landed their passengers at Menai Bridge. In the 1960s - thorugh lack of maintenance - the pier became unsafe and was threatened with demolition but local yachtswoman and lifeboat secretary Miss Mary Burton made a massive private donation to ensure the pier was saved for the town. Today, although the impressive old steamers have long since gone, Beaumaris Pier is still a busy base for yachts and pleasure vessels of all kinds.

It's proposed to built a marina on the Western shore of Gallows Point but at present all moorings at Beaumaris are tidal.

The Saunders Roe company set up a factory at Fryars (the site of the old Franciscan friary to the east) when it was feared that the company's main base on the Isle of Wight would be a target for WW2 German bombers. The factory converted American-built Catalina flying boats and, after the war, produced fast patrol boats, minesweepers and even buses for London Transport (RT Double deckers) and single deck buses for Cuba.

For more information see: http://www.beaumaris.org.uk/


 Libraries:
 Beaumaris Library
       David Hughes Community Centre
       Beaumaris
       LL58 8AL
 01248 810659
 Mon 16:00-19:00
       Wed 10:00-13:00
       Thur 10:00-13:00
       Fri 10:00-13:00 14:00-17:00
       Sat 10:00-12:00


 Golf:
 Baron Hill Golf Club
       Baron Hill
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8YW
 01248 810231


 Castles:
 Beaumaris Castle
       Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AP
 01248 810361


 Museums:
 Museum Of Childhood Memories
       1 Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AP
 01248 810448


 Arts/Galleries:
 Cole & Co
       Little Lane
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8DB
 01248 811391


 Pubs/Bars:
 Bishopsgate House Hotel

       54 Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8BB

 The Bold Arms Hotel

       6 Church St
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AA
 01248 810313

 Bulkeley Hotel
       19 Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AW

 The George and Dragon
       Church St
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AA
 01248 810491

 The Liverpool Arms Hotel
       Castle St
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8BA
 01248 810362

 The Sailors Return
       Church St
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AB
 01248 811314

 Tafarn Y Rhyd
       Tafarn Rhyd
       Llangoed
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8NT

 The White Lion Hotel
       Castle Square
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8DA
 01248 810589

 Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn
       Castle St
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AP
 01248 810329


 Hotels
 Best Western Bulkeley Hotel
       19 Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Ynys Mon
       LL58 8AW
 01248 810415
 [email protected]
 http://www.bulkeleyhotel.co.uk/

 Bishopsgate House Hotel
       Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Ynys Mon
       LL58 8BB
 01248 810302
 [email protected]

 Bull Hotel
       Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AP
 01248 810329

 The Liverpool Arms Hotel
       Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8BA
 01248 810362


 B&B's/Guesthouses
 Cleifiog
       Townsend
       Beaumaris
       Anglesey
       LL58 8BH 
 01248 811507
 01248 811507
 [email protected]
 http://www.cleifiogbandb.co.uk

 Plas Cichle Farmhouse
       Cichle Farm
       Llangoed
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8PS
 01248 810488

 Sailor's Return
       40-42 Church Street
       Beaumaris
       Isle of Anglesey
       LL58 8AB
 01248 811314
 http://www.sailorsreturn.co.uk/

 Ty Anne
       10 West End
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8BG
 01248 810719

 Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn
       Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Anglesey
       LL58 8AP 
 01248 810329
 01248 811294
 [email protected]
 http://www.bullsheadinn.co.uk


 Restaurants:
 Cafe Neptune (Seafood)
       27 Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AP
 01248 810327

 Harry's Bistro & Golf Club Bar (Bistro)
       Henllys
       Henllys Lane
       Llanfaes
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8HU
 01248 812976

 The Sailors Return
       Church Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AB
 01248 811314


 Cafes:
 Beaus Tea Shop
       Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AP
 01248 811010
 
 The Coffee House
       27 Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AP
 01248 810327

 N Weed
       1 Castle Street
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8AP
 01248 810338

 Tier House Cafe
       Beaumaris
       Gwynedd
       LL58 8BS
 01248 810321


 

 

The images below are by Denis Egan.
 To view a larger image, just click on the image

Beaumaris pier looking across the Menia Straits

Taken by Beaumaris pier and looking across the Menai Straits

Looking across the Menai Straits towards the Gywnedd shore.

A gateway in one of the inner walls of Beaumaris Castle.

Beaumaris

Beaumaris Castle

Beaumaris Castle

Beaumaris Castle


 

Comment Script
Post this page to: del.icio.us Yahoo! MyWeb Digg reddit Furl Blinklist Spurl

Comments

Name
E-mail (Will not appear online)
Title
Comment
;-) :-) :-D :-( :-o >-( B-) :oops: :-[] :-P
[Home] [Food & Drink] [Symbols] [Sport] [Products] [Places] [Buildings] [Artists] [Entertainers] [Events] [Famous Welsh] [Journalists] [Musicians] [Politicians] [Songs] [Writers] [Welsh Info] [About Us] [Vox Pop] [Contact Us] [Forums] [Our Sponsors] [Welsh Produce]

All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2008
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know.
Email: [email protected]

 

 

Key

Bold Red
Internal Link
Red
External Link

 Admission Charges
 Address
 Arts/Galleries
 Buses
 B&B's/Guesthouses Campsites/Carvans
 Castles
 Credit Cards
 Disabled Facilities
 Email
 Farmers Markets
 Fax
 Film
 Food
 Football
 Gardens
 Golf
 Historic Houses
 Hotels
 Libraries
 Museums
 Opening Hours
 Pubs/Bars
 Rugby
 Shops/Gifts
 Taxis:
 Telephone No.
 Theatres
 Tourist Information
 Trains
 Vets
 Web Address
 Welsh Produce
 Youth Hostels
llustration(s) or photograph(s) viewable Illustration(s) or
       photograph(s)

This Month

May 3rd

Mary Hopkin (Singer) born 1950 in Pontardawe

May 11th

Ivor Emmanuel (acto) was born in Pontrhydyfen, nr. Port Talbot in 1927

May 14th

Robert Owen, Welsh social reformer born 1771 in Newtown

May 28th

Clough Williams-Ellis (architect) born 1883