Broughton - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
BROUGHTON, a township, in the parish of Hawarden, union of Great Boughton, hundred of Mold, county of Flint, North Wales, 2� miles (S. E.) from the town of Hawarden; containing 405 inhabitants. This place appears to have been occupied prior to the Conquest, by one Levenot, a freeman; and after that period was possessed under the designation of Brochetune, by Robert de Roelent, or Rhuddlan, who held it under Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, and who held also a manor here, once owned by a Saxon named Ulmer. Part of the Warren mountain, in the township, was inclosed pursuant to an act of parliament obtained in 1798. The Mold railway, very recently opened, has a station near Broughton. A chapel of ease to the rectory of Hawarden, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was erected here in 1824: it has a parsonage-house attached for the residence of a curate, appointed by the rector. The township also contains a National school for boys and girls, and a Sunday school, both supported by Sir Stephen R. Glynne, Bart., and the rector, the day scholars, however, paying a small fee per week in aid of the funds.