Brymbo - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
BRYMBO, a township, in the parish and union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from the town of Wrexham; containing, in 1841, 1217 inhabitants. Thomas, Earl of Arundel, by charter granted in 1410, gave the people of Holt permission to dig for coal and turf here. There are now considerable collieries and iron-works in the township, the principal of which, established by the late John Wilkinson, Esq., were for some time discontinued, being the subject of a suit in Chancery, but are now carried on upon a still larger scale, consisting of an extensive colliery, and iron-mines, two blast furnaces, foundries, &c. The opening of a branch from the Chester and Shrewsbury railway has been of much advantage to the township, by greatly augmenting the sale of its mineral produce. A church was erected in the year 1841, with the aid, principally, of Her Majesty's Church Commissioners: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Wrexham, with a net income of £90. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £332 and a sum of £1 is paid to the vicar. There are several places of worship for dissenters. A Church school for girls was commenced in 1841, and one for boys in 1843; but these being held in mere cottages, and otherwise not meeting the requirements of the neighbourhood, the Chancery scheme drawn up in 1845 for a new distribution of certain charities in Wrexham, directed that fourtenths of the income should be applied for the maintenance of a school here. Three-tenths were also awarded for the support of a similar school in Minera; and the trustees were empowered to lay out in the purchase of school sites, and the erection of schoolhouses and master's and mistress's residences, any sum not exceeding £800; the same to be built in suitable places in Brymbo and Minera townships. Sunday schools are supported in different parts of the townships. That remarkable monument of Saxon industry, Clawdd Offa, or Offa's Dyke, passes in the vicinity of Brymbo Hall, near which it has been levelled for the formation of roads, tramways, &c., in connexion with the iron-works: in removing a portion of it, a great quantity of the bones of horses, in a state of excellent preservation, and horse-shoes of rude workmanship, were found.