Lavernock, otherwise Larnock - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LAVERNOCK, otherwise LARNOCK, a parish, in the union of Cardiff, hundred of DinasPowys, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 7½ miles (S. by W.) from Cardiff; with 85 inhabitants. The living is a rectory not in charge, consolidated with the living of Penarth; the church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is situated close to the water's edge, the parish lying on the shore of the British Channel. Lead-ore has been obtained here, but the works are now discontinued. The principal substratum is lias limestone, in which the usual fossils abound; in the cliffs under this limestone are found tripoli, and lapis cariosus, or rotten stone, intermingled with a red marly earth, in which are imbedded blocks of gypseous alabaster.