Leckwith (Llêchwedd, or Llêchwydd) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LECKWITH (LLÊCHWEDD, or LLÊCHWYDD), a parish, in the union of Cardiff, hundred of Dinas-Powys, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Cardiff; containing 121 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies "the slope of the cliff," is situated on the river Ely, over which is a bridge of two arches. Limestone of good quality is found in great abundance, and large quantities are quarried for building purposes, and also burnt as an article of manure for the supply of the neighbourhood. The village stands on an eminence overlooking the marshes that intervene between it and Cardiff, and from Leckwith Hill are some interesting and extensive views. The inhabitants, from the exhalations rising from the lower grounds, are subject to ague. Leckwith, Llandough, and Cogan form a consolidated discharged rectory, rated in the king's books at £8. 8. 4.; patrons, the Stuart family: the tithes of the whole have been commuted for a rent-charge of £240, and the glebe comprises thirty-three acres. The church, which is dedicated to St. James, stands upon a high bank above the marshes, and is remarkable for the simplicity of its style.