Llanvihangel-Y-Pennant (Llan-Fihangel-Y-Pennant) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LLANVIHANGEL-Y-PENNANT (LLAN-FIHANGEL-Y-PENNANT), a parish, in the union of Dôlgelley, hundred of Estimaner, county of Merioneth, North Wales, 8 miles (S. W.) from Dôlgelley; containing 375 inhabitants. This parish is about four miles in length and three in breadth, and contains 8244 acres, comprehending a variety of soils. Nearly one-half of it, situated in a vale, is fertile and in a state of good cultivation, a considerable portion producing excellent corn; whilst the mountainous parts, forming a portion of the great Cader Idris chain, afford only pasturage for sheep. The village, which is small, is pleasantly seated on the banks of the river Dysynni, which falls into the sea at Aber-Dysynni. Near the margin of the river, and occupying the summit of a rocky eminence, are the remains of the castle of Teberri, a strong fortress, supposed to have been erected either by Grufydd ab Cynan, Prince of North Wales, or by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, into whose hands that prince was betrayed by Meirion Gôch, to whom its defence had been committed. According to Mr. Pennant, it is thought also to have been the castle of Bere, the stronghold of the last Llewelyn, which, not long before the final reduction of Wales, was taken by William de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, and probably the same that was committed by Edward I. to the custody of Robert Fitz-Walter, to whom the king granted the privilege of hunting all kinds of wild beasts in the principality. A part of the fortress was excavated in the rock, and the walls were constructed of masonry, cemented by mortar composed of shells and gravel. Near this is the seat named Caerberllan Hall. Turf and peat are found in the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant; present net income, £46; patron, the Bishop of Bangor; impropriator, the Bishop of Lichfield, whose tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £190. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a place of worship for Independents. Mr. David Evan, in 1724, bequeathed £10, the interest of which is annually distributed among the poor.