Llangoed Hall is a country house hotel in Powys, Mid Wales. It is known for its decoration in Laura Ashley fabrics and styles, and is owned by Sir Bernard Ashley, the former husband of the late designer.
The Hall was originally known as Llangoed Castle. It was donated in 560 by Prince Iddon to the church in expiation of his sins, and may have been the legendary White Palace, home of the first Welsh parliament. A mansion existed from 1632. It was in possession of the Macnamara family for two generations until 1847, having been won in a game of cards. In 1912 Clough Williams-Ellis designed it as a country house, retaining the surviving Jacobean porch as part of the south wing. Sir Bernard Ashley then bought Llangoed Hall in 1989.
The house has a number of curiosities, and is rumored by local folklore to house a ghost named Arginald, a boy who committed suicide in the 1940s. Mention of Arginald is forbidden by staff when talking with hotel guests. A family cemetery nearby contains the grave of a horse.
Sir Bernard Ashley's idea was to recreate Llangoed Hall as an Edwardian house party - so from when it opened in 1990 there was no reception desk. Portraits and works by Whistler, Augustus John, Walter Sickert and the Laura Ashley adorn the Picture Gallery's walls, while bedrooms are decorated with furnishings from both the Laura Ashley fabric company and his new venture Elanbach, which is based in the hotel's grounds. The dining room offers modern classical cooking, making the most of local produce such as Welsh lamb, Wye salmon and laverbread. It has won the Best Restaurant in Wales award.
For more information see: http://www.llangoedhall.com/