Lleweni Hall (also referred to as Llewenny Palace) was the principal seat of the Salusbury Family from 1066 until 1748.
Lleweni was originally called Llysmarchweithian and was property that belonged to Marchweithian, a Welsh chieftain and one of the founders of the Fiveteen Tribes of Wales. It eventually fell into the hands of the Salusbury Family approximately around the time of the Norman Conquest during which it was awarded to Adam de Salusbury for his service to William the Conqueror. Although there was some sort of residence on the land that Lleweni stood upon since 720, Lleweni was first properly erected under the direction of the first Sir John Salusbury after having received new arms and a position in the court of Queen Elizabeth I in 1578.
Lleweni evolved into the seat of modern Welsh culture during the direction of Sir John, who established a court at Lleweni sometime in the late 16th century. He inscribed a list of festive songs in a book of Welsh poetry in the 1590s, but many academics questioned the legitimacy of these papers until well into the twentieth century. However, research soon discovered that Salusbury was both a close associate of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, as well as the brother-in-law of Ferdinando, Lord Strange, both of whom maintained their own company of players.
Later history and demolition
Lleweni Hall was a massive structure that had over an estimated 200 rooms according to Hester Piozzi. After the death of Piozzi's father, Sir John Salusbury, 4th Baronet of Lleweni, the structure fell into the hands of the Cotton Baronets who used it as their seat.
However, Lleweni was runinously expensive to upkeep, and finally Stapleton Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere sold Lleweni to William Lewis Hughes, Baron Dinorben in order to pay off the debts of his father. Cotton would later regret selling Lleweni Hall immensely after having regained his fortune.
Hughes tore down Lleweni in order to build Kinmel Hall, which he did not live to see completed. Kinmell Hall, which was finally built in 1871 by descendents of Hughes, mimics the facade of Lleweni closely. However, one wing is still standing.
Owners of Lleweni Hall
- Sir John Salusbury of Lleweni
- After the execution of Thomas Salusbury of Lleweni in 1586, Lleweni passed to his brother;
- Sir John Salusbury of Lleweni, (d. 1612), who married the daughter of Henry Stanley, 4th Earl of Derby. On his death Lleweni passed to his son;
- Sir Henry Salusbury of Lleweni, 1st Bt. (d. 1632), then to his son;
- Sir Thomas Salusbury of Lleweni, 2nd baronet** (d. 1643), then to his son;
- Sir Thomas Salusbury of Lleweni, 3rd Bt. (d. 1658) and then to the 3rd baronet's brother;
- Sir John Salusbury of Lleweni, 4th and last baronet, who died without issue in 1684. Lleweni then passed to his sister;
- Hester Salusbury, wife of Sir Robert Cotton of Combermere and Lleweni, 1st baronet, who died in 1712. Lleweni then passed to his son;
- Sir Thomas Cotton of Combermere and Lleweni, 2nd Bt. (d. 1715) and then to;
- Sir Robert Salusbury Cotton, 3rd Bt. (d. 1748).
- Briefly to Stapleton Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere