Llanybyther (Llan-Y-Byddar) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LLANYBYTHER (LLAN-Y-BYDDAR), a parish, in the union of Lampeter, Higher division of the hundred of Cathinog, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 5½ miles (S. W.) from Lampeter; comprising the Northern and Southern divisions, and containing 1120 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Lampeter to Carmarthen, and on the border of the county. It is bounded on the west and north by Cardiganshire, on the northeast by the parish of Pencarreg, on the south by that of Llanmihangel-Rhôsycorn, on the south-east by that of Llansawel, and on the south-west by that of Llanllwny. The parish is extensive, comprising above 10,000 acres, of which about 2000 are uninclosed, and containing a great variety of soil and surface, including a large portion of the country between the rivers Teivy and Cothy; the prevailing kinds of timber are fir and young oak, and the chief agricultural produce oats and barley. There is a ridge of high common ground crossing the parish in the centre from east to west, from which numerous streams descend towards the north into the Teivy, and southwards into the Cothy; the latter district exhibits many deep glens. A road from Llansawel to Llandyssul intersects this common, on which several carnau and monumental stones are visible. The village of Llanybyther stands on the banks of the river Teivy, which is here crossed by a bridge, and near the road leading from Lampeter to Carmarthen. The parish also contains the village of Glanduar, and that of Abergorlech, the latter situated on the southern confines of the parish, some miles distant from the village of Llanybyther, and near the junction of the river Gorlech with the Cothy, from which junction it derives its name. Fairs are held on June 21st, July 17th, and November 1st and 21st.
The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with £600 royal bounty and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor; present net income, £117, with a glebe-house; impropriators, C. Longcroft and T. Lloyd, Esqrs. The tithes have been commuted for £230, of which £160 are payable to the impropriators, and £70 to the vicar, who has also a glebe of seven acres and a half, valued at £10 per annum. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, having undergone a thorough repair, is comfortably fitted up for the accommodation of the inhabitants; it is seventy feet long, including the chancel, which was rebuilt in 1804, and seventeen feet broad, and contains 162 sittings, nearly the whole free. There is also a chapel at Abergorlech, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and in the gift of the Vicar; net income, £60. The parish has two places of worship for Independents, and one each for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. A school in connexion with the Established Church is supported by Colonel Wood, and there are six Sunday schools, one of them conducted on Church principles, and the others belonging to the three denominations of dissenters above mentioned. Opposite the church, and at the distance of about half a mile from it, in a south-western direction, is an encampment, crowning a conical hill of considerable elevation; it is called the Gaer, and is supposed to be of Roman construction.