Llay (Llai) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LLAY (LLAI), a hamlet, in that part of the parish of Gresford which is in the hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, in the poor-law union of Wrexham, in North Wales, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Wrexham; containing 539 inhabitants. It is situated near the left bank of the river Alyn, and on the border of Flintshire. The great tithes, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester, have been commuted for �220, and the vicarial tithes for �100; the impropriate glebe comprises 61a. 1r. 5p., and the vicarial 29a. 3r. 16p. Offa's Dyke passes between the township and the river.