Michaelston-Super-Ely - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
MICHAELSTON-SUPER-ELY, a parish, in the union of Cardiff, hundred of Dinas-Powys, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 4½ miles (W.) from Cardiff; containing 54 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Michael, and its distinguishing appellation from its position on the southern bank of the river Ely, which separates it from the parish of St. Fagan's. It is beautifully situated in the southeastern part of the county, and comprises 300 acres of rich arable and pasture land, in a good state of cultivation. The scenery is varied, and the distant views extend over a highly fertile tract of country. The living is a discharged rectory, with the rectory of St. Bride's super Ely consolidated, rated in the king's books at £8. 6. 8.; patron, Llewelyn Traherne, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £60, and there is a glebe of twentyeight acres, valued at £36 per annum; also a glebehouse. The church, which is in honour of St. Michael, is not remarkable for its style.