Pencader - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
PENCADER, a chapelry, in the parish of Llanvihangel-ar-Arth, union of NewcastleEmlyn, Upper division of the hundred of Cathinog, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 10� miles (N. by E.) from Carmarthen: the population is included in the return for the parish. This chapelry, the name of which signifies "the head chair," is situated in a vale, on the banks of the T�fwili stream, which falls into the river Teivy; and the road from Carmarthen to Lampeter passes through the village. It was here that Henry II. arrived with his army, in 1163, to punish Rhŷs ab Grufydd, Prince of South Wales, for some inroads he had made into the territories of the vassals of that monarch, while engaged in Normandy; but a compromise taking place between them, Henry returned to England, with the nephews of Rhŷs, as hostages. The murder of these persons afterwards by the Earl of Gloucester, to whose custody they were committed, induced Rhŷs to make dreadful ravages in Cardiganshire and Pembrokeshire. The chapel has been in ruins for upwards of a century, but the cemetery attached to it is still preserved from desecration. A Roman road from Carmarthen to Lampeter passed through the chapelry.