Rhôsilly, or Rosilly (Rhôssulwy) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
RHÔSILLY, or ROSILLY (RHÔSSULWY), a parish, in the union and hundred of Swansea, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 16½ miles (W. S. W.) from Swansea; containing 339 inhabitants. The parish derives its appellation from Reginald Sili or Sulwy, to whom the lordship was given, on the division of the conquered territory of Glamorgan, by Fitz-Hamon. It is situated on a bay to which it gives name in the Bristol Channel. The bay is inclosed on the south by Worms Head, a rugged promontory forming the western extremity of the county of Glamorgan, and stretching two miles into the sea; and on the north by the promontory opposite to which is Holme's Island: on the east side it is backed by the lofty and beautiful range of hills called Rhôsilly Downs. The anchorage almost throughout this bay is very dangerous in rough weather, from the eddies and currents that set in here: that part, however, just below the village, affords good shelter and holding ground, with any but a north-west wind. During the night of the 18th November, 1840, the "City of Bristol" steampacket was lost in Rhôsilly bay. The limestone rocks that line the shore exhibit some very curious caverns, in which are fine specimens of stalactite, and where large quantities of bones of various animals have been discovered; the sands extend for three miles to the north-west of the church, and are firm and smooth. The parish comprises an extensive tract of land, of which about three-fourths are inclosed and cultivated, and the remainder consists of fine open downs affording excellent pasturage, and other common and waste. About fifty men are employed in quarrying limestone, of which great quantities are shipped from the bay to different parts of the principality. The surrounding scenery is diversified, and the views over the bay and the adjacent country abound with objects of interest: Worms Head is one of the grandest features of the Bristol Channel, and the terror of seamen in stormy weather. The living is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor; present net income, £104. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, situated near the shore, but is not remarkable for its architectural details. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A day school is held in connexion with the Established Church; and two Sunday schools are supported, one of them conducted on Church principles, the other connected with the Wesleyans.