Harmon (St.) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
HARMON (ST.), a parish, in the union and hundred of Rhaiadr, county of Radnor, South Wales, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Rhaiadr; containing 920 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from Saint Garmon, or Germanus, to whom its church is dedicated. It is pleasantly situated on the river Wye, by which it is separated from the adjacent parish of Cwm-toyddwr; and is about four miles in length, and, across the centre, nearly the same in breadth, consisting by computation of about 10,000 acres, divided into three townships or hamlets, Kennarth, Clâs-Garmon, and Bwnneiaid. The lands are but partially inclosed, and only a portion of them is under cultivation. Slate is found, and some quarries of it are worked. The parish is intersected by the high road from Rhaiadr to Llanidloes in the county of Montgomery. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £5. 15. 2½., and endowed with £800 parliamentary grant; patron, the Bishop of St. David's: the impropriate and vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £152. 10. each, and the vicar has a glebe of half an acre. The church, rebuilt in the year 1823, is a neat plain edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and aisles, without either tower or spire, having one small bell suspended beneath a shed. There are places of worship for Anabaptists, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic Methodists; and two Sunday schools. The produce of some small charitable donations and bequests, principally one of £20 by Evan Davies, by will, in 1781, and another of £10 by James Edward Morris, amounting in the whole to thirty shillings per annum, is distributed among the poor not receiving parochial relief, on New Year's day.