Saltney - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
SALTNEY, a township, in the parish of Hawarden, union of Great Boughton, hundred of Mold, county of Flint, North Wales, 1½ mile (W.) from Chester; containing, in 1841, 554 inhabitants. This township, at one time a marshy waste, borders on the upper part of the estuary of the Dee, on the confines of Cheshire; and is bounded on the north by the new channel formed for that river, over which here are two ferries, supported at the expense of the River Dee Company. The monks of Basingwerk possessed the marsh of Saltney for pasturage, it having been granted by Robert, lord of Mold, who bestowed on them the like privilege in Hawarden, and also that of cutting rushes to thatch their buildings. The tract extended into Cheshire, and a stone near the east end marked the boundary in that county. It was here that Henry II. encamped with his army, in 1157, when he sent forward the division which was defeated in the woods of Eulo Castle by the sons of Owain Gwynedd, who pursued the fugitives to Henry's camp. Upwards of two thousand acres, forming the greater part of the township, were inclosed pursuant to an act obtained in 1778, and are now well cultivated. A manufactory for Glauber salts, sal-ammoniac, ivoryblack, &c., was established in 1781: ivory-black only is now produced. The Chester and Holyhead railway passes through Saltney, where the Wrexham, Ruabon, and Shrewsbury line branches off; and large quantities of coal from Ruabon and other places are shipped for various parts, from Saltney quay. The tonnage of coal, in and out, for the last six months of the year 1847, was 10,059 tons; and for the last six months of the year 1848, 30,654 tons; showing an increase of 20,595 tons. The trade in other articles is also considerable; iron, lime, slate, and general goods are now shipped here, from the districts traversed by the Shrewsbury railway, and from parts beyond. Morva Caer-Lleon, or "the marsh of Caer-Lleon," now Chester, was the ancient name of this place.