Llangennech (Llan-Gennech) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LLANGENNECH (LLAN-GENNECH), a parish, in the union of Llanelly, hundred of Carnawllon, county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Llanelly; containing 893 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the western margin of the river Loughor, by which it is separated from the county of Glamorgan; it is intersected by the rivulet called Morlais, a tributary to that stream, and also by the road from Pont-ar-Ddulas to Llanelly. The surface is varied; the lands for the greater part are inclosed and cultivated, and the soil is generally fertile: the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified. Within the parish is Llangennech Park, formerly the property of the Stepneys of Llanelly House, and now the residence of Richard J. Nevill, Esq. Coal of very superior quality, which obtains a high price in the London market, is found in the parish; and works upon an extensive scale have been for some time past established by a company, who, in addition to the fine beds discovered on the Park estate, have opened new pits of coal, and also of culm, of which considerable quantities are exported. Facilities of conveyance are afforded by the Llanelly railway, which proceeds through the parish to its terminus at the Llanelly docks. Two fairs are held annually on June 16th and October 23rd, in the village. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the gift of Edward Rose Tunno, Esq., who is also impropriator, and who has lately augmented the income of the benefice, previously £82, with a farm producing £40 per annum. The church is dedicated to St. Gwynog. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. A school for boys, conducted on the principles of the Established Church, is supported entirely by Mr. Tunno; and here are also three Sunday schools, one of them in connexion with the Church, and the others belonging to the dissenters.